• Join Home Gardening Forum

2,4-D herbicide per gallon

I

ijustwantausername

Hi all!

I have a 2 gallon hand sprayer and a gallon of 2,4-D herbicide with the label ripped off. I have some some dandelions already growing on the lawn that I want to kill.

You all have any idea how much 2,4-D I should use per gallon of water?

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Welcome to HGF @ijustwantausername (nice name by the way) ;)

I've been using this 2,4-D weedkiller myself for the last couple years with great success. First and foremost you want to be very careful with this stuff and read the label which you can click here for a 2,4-D herbicide label.

That said, a good friend of mine runs a professional lawn care company here locally and I've also confirmed with others that the ideal mixture is 2.5oz of 2,4-D per gallon of water which should treat about 400 square feet. With this ratio I've been able to keep the lawn pretty clear of all weeds, best stuff I've used for sure.

I

ijustwantausername

Dam i almost forgot about this site asked on another website and they were not very helpful. thanks for the response.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
We're most welcome. Let us know how it worked out for you. I just sprayed my lawn about a week myself in between all this rain we've been getting.

E

ErnieCopp

Mike,
I had forgotten about using a mild solution of that for weed control in lawns. I used a strong solution at the nursery to fight back the brush and weeds from my electric fence, and it sterilized the soil in a lot of places, which was good there. But i need to get a little bit, for spotting spraying individual weeds in the lawn.

Thanks for reminding me,
Ernie

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
@ErnieCopp that's interesting I was about to buy some Crossbow herbicide to kill some brush on the other side of a fence in our back yard, but I guess I could get another hand pump and just mix a much stronger solution. Any suggestion on the brush killing solution?

Twice the amount I do for lawn care or stronger?

E

ErnieCopp

Mike,

That has been 15 years since I did that, and I just do not remember. I would say twice or three times as much for a first test. What I do here with roundup, too, if there is any chance of damage I cut to half of the recommended amount, but if it is big and tough or getting old, I go over the maximum.

If it does not kill after a couple of weeks, but just weakens it, hit it again.

But one thing I do differently, is I do not buy the ready mixed sprays, because they are so weak, I just do not have good results. With the concentrates, I can find a mix, either weak or strong, that does what I want it to.

We have to allow for the fact that some plants are much harder to kill than others, so there is no way the one recommended proportions are going to work for everything.

I have a solid planting of Lantana bushes, two feet tall, that has some Bermuda grass coming up, so I am hoping the Lantana is tough enough to withstand a mix of Roundup that will kill the grass but let the Lantana survive. But I am starting with a pretty weak solution, and testing it on a corner so if it kills the bushes, I can just remove them without ruining the appearance of the entire planting. I will know in a few days if I won or lost that gamble.

Ernie