• Join Home Gardening Forum

2014 garden

M

majorcatfish

all the second round of tomatoes, peppers and eggplant are up..
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0002.JPG
sometime this week the bok choy will have to be transplanted into deeper cells, the lettuce is coming along fine.
and heres a kicker, after the heating mats went nuts figured i cooked everything just for laughs kept the two cells with rosemary seeds. how about that theres 6 sprouts up!!!!!! did some gentle digging and found 4 more ready to break soil.... almost give up on starting rosemary by seed....
DSC_0002 - Copy.JPG

M

majorcatfish

my back order showed up from Johnny's yesterday
Golden Greek pepperchini and orange thyme, started the gold Greek. next week will do the thyme.

M

majorcatfish

fought my cold till today stayed home, slept/ eat/ slept. finally got up and tinkered with the seedlings for a bit.
repotted the bok choy and planted orange thyme and stevia.
DSC_0003 - Copy.JPG
some of the tomatoes are popping their 2nd set of true leafs more in likely they will get transplanted this weekend.
DSC_0002.JPG
the peppers are lagging behind.
DSC_0005 - Copy.JPG

lettuce is coming right along
DSC_0002 - Copy (2).JPG up to 8 rosemary now... it's dinner time romen noodles and back to bed..

M

majorcatfish

sat down and transplanted the tomatoes into their new pots
DSC_0011.JPG
DSC_0021.JPG
and if you look closely theres stevia and orange thyme sprouting.
DSC_0018.JPG
the bok choy has taken off in their new pots, shorty they will be harden off and planted out in the raised beds.
DSC_0001 - Copy.JPG
the peppers are finally getting into gear, another week and they will be right for transplanting into bigger pots.
DSC_0002.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
M

majorcatfish

yippeeee sowed seeds late this morning. the raised beds are waking up for another productive season.
planted..........
beets
carrots
bibb lettuce
leeks
bok choy
spinach
DSC_0004.JPG
planted the spinach between the rows of elephant garlic will plant more in a couple weeks in one of the other garlic beds.
DSC_0006.JPG

M

majorcatfish

since it's another wonderful rainy weekend decided to transplant the eggplant and peppers as well add another shelf using my old t-12 lighting
the lamps are 4 years old and they are not putting out, so monday heading to the electric supply house and pick up 4 dx <daylight> lamps.
going to start more seeds next weekend plus going to need the extra shelf lit soon anyway. next fall planning on revamping the table..
DSC_0001.JPG you can see it's going to get crowded soon, till new lamps put the herbs on the side
DSC_0002 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0001 - Copy.JPG
tomatoes have jumped scroll back and see them last sunday.
DSC_0002 - Copy (2).JPG
give everyone a big drink of fish emulsifier...
need to make a barrier around the lower shelf other wise the wifes cats will have a salad bar to eat in.. have the netting just need to put it up..

M

Mr_Yan

I'm jealous.

Is that just aluminium foil on the walls? When I first saw your photos I thought it was one of the reflective emergency blankets. I'm thinking about what to do for my new growing shelf/table and I need to get that going tonight or tomorrow.

M

majorcatfish

yes it's aluminium foil did use the heavy duty stuff and used some painters tape to strengthen the edges went it was stapled in place.
heres a photo with the lights off..
DSC_0003.JPG during their germination period would flip down the front cover to retain heat . once everyone sprouted would flip up during the day the rest of the plastic stays
the heat from the ballast and lamps did great during the day. soil temp is about 80* during the day
DSC_0004 - Copy.JPG imho this little heater did better than heating pads<even when mine worked correctly>
had it set for 70* it would only come once or twice a hour during the night.
DSC_0005.JPG
since we have a little warmer weather no need for the cover or heater.

M

majorcatfish

picked up the new lamps for the lower shelf today sure makes a difference
DSC_0001.JPG

M

majorcatfish

this afternoon put out the lettuce and bok choy in a raised bed. lost a couple of the lettuce and a bok choy.
DSC_0001.JPG
the onions are reaching skyward
DSC_0003.JPG
started 18 basil as well

M

majorcatfish

WOW can you believe it a sunny dry weekend for a change.

drove down to lowes picked up 30 bags of black kow compost, rounded up all the toys and started on the potato beds.
first off was screening the garden soil, last spring when i made my first beds the first couple i just added the soil but noticed that there was abundant of rocks, pieces of wood, so made a rocker screen that fits over the top of the dump cart now it screens out anything that is over 3/8" works great. it's a little bit more work but well worth the effort,while screening today beside the unwanted junk screened out 5 grubs and found a bicentennial quarter......
DSC_0012.JPG
DSC_0016.JPG
was able to do 2 rows then run out of dirt, called the nursery to see if they could deliver 5 more yards,they are booked till tuesday will have to put that till next weekend since the weather forecast is calling for 1.5 inches of rain between sunday night and tuesday don't want their truck out there and getting stuck..so tomorrow will finish up the 2 rows and unload the truck.
DSC_0022.JPG
tonight going to start 18 brussel sprouts .....

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Y'all are some SERIOUS gardeners! This appears to be a great group to be with for advice.

M

majorcatfish

thank you everyone..

finished up everything outside which took no time thank goodness dont think my back could take much more. guess that extended winter hibernation did not help.
the children are getting their first day in the greenhouse will bring them back in tonight, still to chilly for them
DSC_0011.JPG
give the beds a drink of water so far have a couple beets, spinach and bok choy up.
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG
the kiwi survived the winter which i thought for sure would not make it and my lonely pippin apple tree is about to flower
DSC_0006.JPG
DSC_0009.JPG
have a million things to do, but they can wait

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
have a million things to do, but they can wait

You're not the only one... I have to start working on the backlog myself. One of our Jeeps inspection is 2 months overdue, dog vaccinations, renew trailer tags, cut grass, do the backyard flowerbeds, etc.

M

majorcatfish

have 12 days to get my list in order, taking easter week off......... 9 glorious days off ........
no phone calls in the middle of the night..<yeah right>.....
no alarm clock going off at 5 am....
no driving a hour each way.....
no bed time.....

just a very nice stay at home vacation........

M

majorcatfish

this morning was waiting on my dirt to be delivered looking around the beds pulled weeds, was about to pull had to do a second look at this one weed and almost fell over laughing. this bed had last years yukon gold potatoes in it, well when it was time to harvest the wife came out and wanted to help, ok you do one side and i will do the other.
though the season would find a stray potato here and there always on her side.. well this morning found another she missed<almost a year later from planting them>.
DSC_0005.JPG
amazed that it survived the winter and sprout though 6" of soil, the stem broke off after digging around abit, showed the wife, she had a good laugh as well.since it survived decided to plant it and not eat it for breakfast tomorrow.
told the wife that she needs to work on her treasure hunting skills...

the soil finally showed up it was the same young man that delivered soil to us last year, he was very impressed how all the raised beds turned out, he asked if he take a couple pictures he wants to show the owner, ok what the heck he took a couple and my money and left.
about 1 pm a strange truck come down the driveway it was the owner of the nursery the driver showed him the photos, we talked for awhile he asked if he take some photos once the beds really start taking off for his web site, agreed to that on one condition he can take all the photos he wants, exchange for 5 yards of topsoil. his response you kidding you.... want it drop in the same spot, so will be having the soil delivered next week and the beds published on the web...that had my day...

he left back to work about 30 minutes later our neighbour on the street came down and asked about the beds, he would like to do something like this as well for the wife and grandchild. he left and a couple minutes after he came back down with the wife and camera and tape measure in hand, we talked about why and how come they thanked me and left.

finally back to screening and hauling dirt finished the third bed and topping off the other two, spread out the fertilizer, sulphur and greensand till it in, added the compost to the third bed and the wife come out with a beer oh my that went down, that was it for the day there is always tomorrow......
DSC_0008.JPG
amazing how 1 beer can shut you down...
will finish tilling them as well the main garden and mowing the dogs yard, fixing the greenhouse do not want to get a ticket for gui<gardening under the influence>.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Just wait till you get older... the mere thought of a beer will 'shut you down'. Don't ask me how I know.

As a wise old man (and I mean old) once said to me, "Why are you busting your *** since you ain't ever going to get caught up no matter how hard you work. Go have a beer when you want". As I have gotten older, I've come to realize that he was right...

Last edited:
M

majorcatfish

slept in this morning, after some breakfast got right back where i left off yesterday tilled the main garden, finished the potato beds and planted them. was able to plant 66 out of 77 run out of room
DSC_0011.JPG
cleaned up between the rows, watered them. alls that left it put up a fence . if mother nature cooperates will be harvesting sometime late september.
DSC_0002.JPG
in the raised bed flea beetles were eating my bok choy took care of that problem. mowed the dogs yard, just one thing left on the list fixing the greenhouse...
will have to bring them in monday evening they are calling for a couple mornings in the low 30's.

M

majorcatfish

their getting ready to come on....if there's one, there's more
DSC_0003.JPG