• Join Home Gardening Forum

Anyone here build their own guns???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
As some here already know, I enjoy building my own... Specifically the AR platform. There is just something about handcrafting my own that I find therapeutic, much like reloading. I recently completed building a long range bench rest rifle that I'm looking forward to testing at 1000 yards.

It has been an exercise in patience due to the shortage of parts due to high demand. It seems like every time I decided on a specific component, I had to search for hours to find a place that had it 'in-stock'... but being somewhat tenacious (or as Mrs. Ranch calls 'anal'), I managed to finally collect the desired parts. I'm still researching which scope I want to use but here are a few pictures of the building of this rifle:

80%_Lower_After_Milling.jpg

80%_Lower_After-Milling_&_LPK.jpg

Buttstock_Iinstalled.jpg

Finished_Benchrest_Rifle.jpg

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
No but I have plans in the works for this bolt rifle barrel with a integral, shrouded brake. It's a super aggressive brake design and is all wrapped with a piece of titanium tubing so that it wont be loud at all. I'll have to register it as a suppressor I'm sure.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I recently decided to build an AR pistol.

You may ask "what exactly is an AR pistol"??? Well, if you want the complex legal definition of a pistol, check ATF’s Website. If you want the short version, 1) it is an AR-15 that was built from the start to be a pistol. 2) It has a barrel less than 16 inches in length & 3) does not have a stock (generally, an AR-15 pistol will have a stabilizing brace instead of a stock, but that isn’t required)... Those are the three major federally important points. Another is that the gas system has to be of pistol length or carbine length. Another is that a vertical foregrip is only allowed when the overall length is over 26 inches.

Other than abiding by the legal BS, this was a fun lil build!!! Finding & collecting the parts is a bit of a challenge nowadays due to 'supply & demand', but it can be done. In the end, it turned out to be the sweetest lil' bundle of joy that I ever held in my arms, weighing in at just 5 lbs. 8 oz (with the optics/laser) & an overall length of 24.5".

Build_060421.jpg

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
You can build an exact copy of this one for $1,058.57... It's a sweet lil thing & very maneuverable while in the truck!!!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I finally got around to mounting the remaining 4 lasers & remote control assemblies. I'll do the scopes tomorrow hopefully..

SM25016s.jpg

Remote_Swiitchs.jpg