• Join Home Gardening Forum

Been thinking about getting a tablet...

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
to replace an aging laptop. It will be used primarily for reading eBooks & internet usage during thunderstorms (during which I disconnect our main network router). I do not want any Apple stuff.

I've been doing some research the last few days & am leaning towards a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 Tablet (Black) & adding a SanDisk Ultra 128GB MicroSDXC Memory Card to it. I know that I will also have get a WiFi Router, as our house's network is currently all 'hardwired'...

Anyone here have any tablet experience???

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Sam, I agree with you on the Apple comment - I don't want that stuff either. The Galaxy Pro Tab is an excellent choice the only other device I'd even suggest to look at would be the Google Nexus which is also offered in a 10" and 7" version.

The reason the Nexus makes the list is because it's running completely stock Android, no manufacture "goodies" (some people don't like them, I don't mind them - sometimes). Being from Google the Nexus models tend to get the latest version of Android faster then other manufactures. That said both the Galaxy and Nexus are running the same version so this is a moot point at the moment.

In terms of a router, I would highly recommend the Asus AC66U wireless router. It supports the latest wifi radio (AC) which provides better range, stronger reception, and MUCH faster speeds. It's what I use at the house and have been very happy with it. I know you use a VPN service and this router also offers a VPN client which you could probably (I'm going to say your VPN service likely supports it) setup to connect to so that all devices will use that VPN connection.

Hope this helps!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
The Nexus 10 may have Google's branding but it is actually manufactured by Samsung... It also lacks the ability to add any additional memory.

M

Mr_Yan

We only have an old nook color 7" tablet which we don't even use anymore. We found that we prefer the e-ink readers. I'd like to hack one of our readers to modify the functionality, I just don't have the time right now.

I've been noticing that many devices are removing the external memory bays. On the E-book side of things the nook was the last main line device out there with a micro SD but the newest model eliminated that.

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
I'm an Apple groupie:D Just can't get enough. It's the Cadillac model and my first Mac lasted me 11 years before it became too slow to suit me - so well worth the money. Course, I do a lot of graphics, desktop publishing and websites, so of course I'm a fan. I'll bow out of this conversation now:ROFLMAO:

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
The Nexus 10 may have Google's branding but it is actually manufactured by Samsung... It also lacks the ability to add any additional memory.

That is correct, the Nexus 10 is manufactured by Samsung and the Nexus 7 is manufactured by Asus. Google doesn't make hardware directly themselves. It's the Nexus brand though that offers the more "open" or "free" version of the Android operating system, free of all the other bloatware typically found on other devices.

Some people like and want that experience and there are some that like to hack and mod their devices and the Nexus is more suited for that too. That said I still think the Galaxy Pro is probably the best you can get right now in terms of options and features. I've used one several times and they are very impressive. Just threw out the Nexus 10 as a secondary model to consider.

@Rahab222, we'll agree to disagree. :D

M

Mr_Yan

Sam, I agree with you on the Apple comment - I don't want that stuff either.

I spent the day in a seminar going over some points of LT Spice (circuit simulation software) with 30 to 40 other engineers today. Everyone had at least one laptop in front of them and there was not a mac to be seen. I think one guy was running linux though, guess there's always one in the group.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Linux is great!!! I've been using Unix-based operating systems for decades. The tablet will be my 1st foray into the android realm...

M

Mr_Yan

In the words of one of my co-workers (bit head writing code for some of our embedded systems) "android is linux made easy and java is C made hard". If you really want to play word is someone has an android version compiled to fit and run on a raspberry pi.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
LOL!!! If I still wanted to play, I wouldn't have retired. Company bought me really nice 'toys' back then...

E

ErnieCopp

It sounds like we have a lot of brain power here. I have finally fumbled my way through Windows v8.1 but if i get stuck again, which i probably will, I may be asking you guys for help for something besides growing tomatoes.

Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Finally got around to ordering it & the additional memory card... to be delivered on Wednesday. Now I have something else to learn. :)

If it works out, I'll get one for Mrs. Ranch too.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I went with the one I originally posted about... I did change the wireless router to a TP-LINK Archer C7 AC1750, mostly because the Asus AC1900 went way up in price...

Last edited: