3 Fresh tomatoes, diced
2 Jalapeno peppers, deveined & diced
2 Serrano peppers, deveined & diced
1 Tablespoon cumin
2 Teaspoons chili powder
1 Teaspoon oregano
2 Bay leaves
3 Cups of beef broth
12 oz. Bottle of dark Mexican beer (Negro Modelo)
1-3 Tablespoons of flour (depends on how thick you like your gravy)

In a large pot or a Dutch oven, brown the beef on medium high heat in 2 tablespoons of the oil (per batch), I usually have to do this in 2 batches.

Remove beef from pot, add the final 2 tablespoons of oil & cook on medium heat the onions & chiles for about 10 minutes or until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic & cook for another minute.

Throw in the browned beef, add the spices, beef broth, tomatoes & beer, mixing everything really well. Turn up the heat to high, bring the stew to a boil & then turn heat down to low. You want to simmer everything for about 4 hours, stirring occasionally. At this point, check the meat for tenderness.

If the meat is done to your liking, it is time to add the flour to thicken the gravy. Take out a cup of the cooking liquid, stir into it a 1 to 3 tablespoons of flour, then incorporate this back into the stew. Stir until gravy has thickened.

Serve with some steamed or toasted rice & some pinto beans, along with flour tortillas.

Enjoy!!!

NOTE: You can also add some diced carrots and/or potatoes if desired at the 3 hour mark, although that is strictly a personal choice... I've done this variation & both versions are good.

Last edited:

whistech

Planting Zone
9a
I made Carne Guisada today from the recipe of Mr. Ranch and I'm here to tell you that it is some of the best food Iv'e eaten in a long, long time. I have enough to last me all week and I will be making it again soon, I just can't believe how good it is! Next go around I will add the carrots and potatoes. Thanks again for posting the recipe Mr. Ranch.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
We're just finishing a batch up here too!!! We have enough left for tomorrow, although I'll have to make the masa for Mrs. Ranch so she can do some more flour tortillas. This is a perfect meal for these chilly days.