• Join Home Gardening Forum

Community garden - in ground bed ideas

M

Mr_Yan

Guys I need some help thinking about a lowish maintenance community garden bed.I'm thinking I can make it up there two to three times a week. What I am thinking this year is not to have green beans that need picking almost everyday or tomatoes that far away.

Call the bed 25' x 25'.

I was thinking running rows north-south and having the outside two rows be 4' wide swaths of butternut squash on side and sugar pie pumpkins on the other. It is the 16 or so feet between them that has me confused.

I'm thinking cole crops now. Turnips, kale, collard, rutabagas, even mustard. I can add beets and chard too. I think I am too late for early season broccoli.

Harvesting greens is much easier than green beans and those are easy.

I've never grown a rutabaga in my life but they're great cooked like mashed potatoes.

I vacillate on potatoes. Generally I read they're easy but I can also buy cheap spuds that I don't have to dig. And potato beetles are a problem around here. I also have seeds for everything mentioned above but would have to buy seed potatoes.

Any thoughts on where to get the most harvest for the least work? Again I am not too worried about being overrun with any one crop as much is being donated to the local food pantry and they have a great system to quickly spread it across two counties.