• Join Home Gardening Forum

Confused Beans

M

Mr_Yan

Week long hiatus - call it a vacation and 1220 mile drive with dog and two kids to see their grandparents, I'm tired.

I have a handful of different beans growing
Fordhook 242 lima beans
Dragon tongue (ones I've selected and saved for a few seasons)
tenderbush green beans
Kentucky wonder pole beans
sugar and snap peas I've selected and saved for a few years (finished and pulled for the season)

The fordhook limas are supposed to be bush and everything I've read point to the dragon tongue beans are pole. Well these two are confused. The dragon tongues are the tightest growing thickest bush beans I've worked with while the fordhook 242 limas are grabbing anything they can and climbing to about 4 feet tall.

Do I just have beans with messed up genetics?

The dragon tongue beans taste great and have good yields. Large partially flat yellow pods with some to a lot of purple spots / blotches. I had bought these as a cheap pack from Farm and Fleet and everything else I bought at the time turned out weird relative to what it should have.

The last time I did the limas there was a major heat wave hitting us so the yields weren't great and I just mixed them in with the edamame (green soy beans) I was growing. The limas were from a Burpee brand packet.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Just enjoy whatever you get... life in agriculture is always unpredictable.

I'm glad to hear that Farm & Fleet is still around. I used to browse around their stores a lot when I was young!!!

M

Mr_Yan

I've seen a few different farm and fleets or fleet farms. The one around here is Blain's F&F. There was a chain in Michigan I remember going to with my grandfather that was Quality Farm and Fleet I think but that has since gone under and is now under the name Quality Tractor Supply (or similar).

T

the1honeycomb

Just learning about beans they need a lot of space to get enough for canning.. grew coco black last year and barely got 150 beans so next year I will definitely give them more space!