• Join Home Gardening Forum

Difference between Heirloom vs Organic vs Regular seeds?

H

Hangman

I see on online and in stores seeds that are labeled as organic, or heirloom, or without any of the two labels. What is the difference in these types of seeds???

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Heirloom seeds are like the grandparents of seeds. Heirloom seed are seeds from a plant that has it's characteristics passed from one generation to another, carefully grown and saved because it is considered valuable. The value or characteristics could come in form of it taste, productivity, hardiness or adaptability. Many heirlooms have been grown, saved and passed down for mayn years, some have history going back well over 100 years or more.

Organic seeds are believed to produce "better for you" and healthier plants as the seeds have been harvested from plans that have been grown organically, without chemical fertilizers or pesticides and free from hormones and genetically modified organisms (GMOs). Most seed packages include a USDA National Organic Standards label and advertise their organic status on their seeds and produce.

Regular seeds are from plants that have not been genetically modified in a laboratory. Though many have been selectively bred over time for the best characteristics such as taste, yeild, hardiness, etc.

Another type of seed would be the GMO which stands for Genetically Modified Organism. Basically these seeds have been modified in a laboratory on the genetic level. Thus allowing scientists to bypass years of trials and breeding, and combine qualities using totally different genetic sources. The big concern some have of these seeds is that the resulting crops haven’t been tested over time to make sure they don’t have unforeseen consequences, either in the biology of the surrounding eco-systems or on the people or animals that consume them.

I think overall most people would probably rank the seeds in this order in terms of best to "worse": Organic/Heirloom, Regular, then GMO.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It needs to be stated that you cannot buy GMO seed, even if you wanted to... only very large producers that are under contract & tight control.

Basically, there are only 2 types of seeds available to consumers, heirlooms & hybrids:
  • Heirloom plants or seeds refer to any type of seed that has been grown for a number of years (since 1940 or before seems to be the general rule) and passed down from gardener to gardener. Heirloom plants are 'open pollinated', which means the plants are pollinated without human intervention, so by wind or insect pollination. Plants grown from heirloom seeds may not be as predictable as hybrid plants, but many gardeners prefer them for their flavor, and many also appreciate the idea of preserving the vegetable’s heritage.
  • Hybrid plants are created when breeders cross-pollinate different plants in order to maximize their best features, such as yield, size, resistance to disease & taste. Seed saved from hybrid plants isn't likely to produce a new generation with the same qualities. Instead, the second generation may look something more like one of the parent plants used to create the hybrid. Hybrids tend to be reliable, and will produce uniform produce – and a lot of it, generally – but you may lose out on flavor. And you’ll have to shell out money next year to buy new seed.
As far as organic seed goes, it is just a marketing gimmick that allow producers to charge/get more from the gullible/knowledgeable public...

Last edited:

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Sam, for some reason I get this feeling you really like organic seeds. ;)

whistech

Planting Zone
9a
Mr. Ranch stated it much better than I could have, but I agree 100 percent with him. Muddy Skupper needs to say where he is. ;)

E

ErnieCopp

I have never been able to see much difference in Organic,myself, except the price, but I do think Insects and Bugs must prefer the taste, as that is where you see all the Insect damage and bug turds,

Ernie

M

Mr_Yan

You'll also see treated / untreated and OP.

OP is open pollinated, while heirloom seeds need to have been available for the last 50 years, open pollinated could have been developed in the last 5 and bred until it was genetically stable.

Seeds are often treated with a fungicide both to protect the early seedling and prevent the seeds from being consumed by fungus. This is why you'll see seed packets state they're not for consumption.

unless you're trying to save seeds year to year by collecting from the plants you grow or you want some specific variety there's no reason not to grow hybrid.

H

Hangman

thanks 4 the info peeps. dont know who mud skipper is but sounds pretty serious. :LOL:

sounds like the best thing for me to use would be heirloom or hybrid seeds. yeah??

M

Mr_Yan

Generally hybrids are easier and will produce more. That is a broad generality.

For a basic home garden just grow what you eat. I key in on description of flavor when looking at seed catalogs or packets. If the description omits the flavor I see that as indication the flavor is lacking.

M

MB3

the idea of organic is great, but the USDA standard is really watered down, easily swayed by pressure from big ag so they can sell more things at higher rates, without really doing anything along the lines of what organic once meant to people. I remember when USDA standards were announced to be forthcoming, I just had this "there goes the neighborhood" dread.

as far as hybrids go, you can also sort of see it as broken into 2 major categories: those bred for
1) market or the like -- shelf-life, thick skin, standard fruit size, disease and pest resistance, etc, often the big seed companies are the primary breeders and sellers here
2) those bred by tomato breeding enthusiasts, for home gardeners interested in a variety of things like (usually most important) taste, as well as appearance, bred for patio/container (dwarf plants), resistance and numerous other things. These can still be marketable, and may also have fruits all of one size, but you may find this is not always the driving force in stabilizing these breeds, or at least not from what I can tell. These hybrid seeds are often available from the same seed companies and distributors that sell heirloom seeds, who may source seeds from private breeders and growers.

E

ErnieCopp

I would add a couple of comments to the discussion. Hybrids, whether Plants or Animals, generally benefit from Heteriosis, i think is the word, meaning more growth and vitality, than from two similar plants or animals. So whether or not the cross adds or detracts from the taste, you should have more production from the Hybrid.

Second, Advertising and taking advantage of uninformed buyer's gullibility is the biggest factor driving the market for "Organic" produce.

I started growing tomatoes simply to avoid the market tomatoes bred for Shipping Quallity, Shelf Life, and Good Looks, and i wish i could do the same for Apples. I have found some varieites i like the taste of, but also am finding the good qualities vary from year to year even for plants of the same variety.

Ernie

M

MB3

I am in favor of organic growing personally, and don't agree with the quack watch blog article linked above, I just think the USDA standard is a joke in many ways.

but there are other issues in big ag that are important, notably mono-culture, like what you mentioned , Ernie, which leads to issues like food supplies to be susceptible to completely being wiped out, and numerous other things.

I guess one thing that can be brought up in a discussion like this is people attempting to make modern, stable landraces. the idea is to take as many varieties as one can in an area and encourage cross-pollination, and keep selectively breeding the best offspring, the ones that acclimate and do best in your locality. Corn is an easy and obvious one to do this with if you have the space to grow many kinds together.

Last edited by a moderator:
E

ErnieCopp

MBS, I am sure everyone, including me, is in favor of Genuine Organic Produce, when possible, so my Figs, which never need spraying, are absolutely organic. But my peaches MUST be sprayed, or i have no Peaches.

But, who is to say that something labeled as Organic, but with no certified or guaranteed history of being inspected every day, is really Organic? Advertising and Labels alone, regardless of how much of it, does not make anything organic.

I agree that landrace, or stailizing and selection is a wonderful thing, and i appreciate the work everyone does to make things better.

On the other hand, it seems to me that some "food supplies" as well as some of everything else, need to be"wiped out" to make room for new and better varieties.

And I totally believe everyone has the right and the freedom to do as they want to as regards the Organic Food or anything else.

Ernie

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
On the Texas Gulf Coast, you can grow organic until the heat, humidity and insects come:)