• Join Home Gardening Forum

Fertilizers

M

Mr_Yan

Usually I tend not to use fertilizer in my garden but I broke down this year. For the last few years in the fall I've been mixing organic matter into my gardens each fall to compost in place. That and I vermicompost all our kitchen scraps and add the worm castings to my gardens. While this has worked I think I am draining the nutrients from my garden faster than I am rebuilding them. I think this as my harvests and plants, especially the garlic, are getting smaller year over year.

I know I should test the soil but don't really know how to collect the sample. 90% of my garden space is made up of containers (yes a 4'x7' 18" deep box on concrete patio is a container). These containers are mostly built up of composted in place organic matter with peat, perlite, and some native soil mixed in. As each was composted at a different time with different material accurate samples would require several lab tests or a ton of work mixing all of it to a homogeneous state.

Except for last night's application I've been going light on the fertilizer rather than push things too far out of balance too fast. Earilier this season I was using balanced fertilizers but last night I applied a fruiting specific fertilizer over my tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbits.

These are the store bought fertilizers I've used this year:
Smith and Hawkins 7-7-7 that a neighbor gave me
Osmocoate 10-10-10 time release type
Fox Farms Tiger Bloom 2-8-4 (liquid concentrate with micro-nutrients mixed strong at about 4 t per gallon)

I have not used it but still have some hydroponic nutrient for fruiting and ripening - General Hydroponics KoolBloom 2-45-2

Any thoughts?

E

ErnieCopp

Try foliar spraying for faster response, and experiment by only spraying parts of each group.
I was so impressed by foliar applications last year i became a firm believer. I had too much production last year so cut way back to either very little or none this year. I just need to learn how much or how often to apply. I always thought MG was just more advertising hype, but I am convinced now that for small plantings, that is the best and cheapest way to do it. It does not have to be MG, as there are other foliar sprays on the market.

I did read somewhere that 90% of the fertilizer is absorbed in foliar spraying and only about 10% when applied to the ground. I did not read the actual study, just the remarks about the study.

I agree with you that soil tests are impractical in most situations. I have several very different soil types just here on my half acre.

Ernie

M

Mr_Yan

Now you have me interested Ernie. I'm looking around for something to read on this. Do you have any sources or articles for me to read?

The tiger bloom I just applied can either go into watering the soil or as a foliar application.

I do have a lot of MG around the house but won't buy more of it just because I'm not a fan of the Scotts company. I don't think I'd put MG on most of my garden anyway as it is 24-8-16 with no other micro nutrients and at this point I need to ripen fruit.

E

ErnieCopp

Mr. Yan,
I did not do any research before using it, as circumstances led me into doing it that way. We do not have rain in the summer, so i could not use granular fertilizer, as i use drip lines, so no way to flush it into the soil. I have five separate drip blocks so could not inject liquid into the drip tubes. But i do have a good 8 gallon spray rig, so i started using soluble fertilizers, trying different kinds and and pumping it around the base of the plants with the open nozzle. I noticed on the MG, that it said it could be used for foliar, so i just tightened the nozzle and started spraying it on. MG not only dissolved much better, but also seemed to brighten the plants up quicker. So, i am using up the other kinds, but do not plan to buy anything else but MG.

I used it too late in the season last year, and still had soft growth of some of the trees when the first hard frost hit, and had more damage than i liked, so i am not using as much this year and will stop completely soon.

If your fruit is set and developing properly, i am not sure any fertilizer will help this year. And, if you do not have exact information on what your soil is lacking, it does not seem to me that focusing on the numbers will be much help. I just apply balanced or all purpose fertilizer and watch to see if it improves, or detracts from the way it was. Kind of hit or miss, but have not found a better way with so many plants and such different soil types.

One thing i do watch, is whether the plants like acid or not. I have a few flowers and some Jap maples that were not reacting well to the regular ferts, and found out they preferred acid, so i bought that type just for them, and it helped.

I just googled FOLIAR FERTILIZING, and it brought up 627.000 responses, so i am sure you can find plenty of information and research there.

Let us know how it works for you,
Ernie