• Join Home Gardening Forum

First traditional in-ground garden

M

Mr_Yan

This year I talked myself into a 20' x 26' plot at my church community garden - this is about 1/3 the size of a normal plot. In this I plan on growing pole beans, large Cinderella pumpkins, tomatillo, dwarf sunflowers, and any extra tomato plants I have. Along the south and west sides of the plot I need to leave a 1.5' wide open walk way and there is grass field to the north and east of the garden.

This is how I have it planted. The grey is where I will have a pole bean teepee (really an elongated teepee) which I think my kids will love to play in while I tend the garden. The orange circles are where I planted the three pumpkin vines. The green is where I planted the tomatillo. As with most modern illustrations north is to the top.

My plan is to have a line of dwarf sunflowers just inside of the 1.5' walkway to let me know when the pumpkins are creeping too far. Any tomatoes I have extra will be planted and staked / caged along the east edge but I don't think there will be many tomato plants with how my seedlings look.

Any thoughts if I have it over or under planted?