• Join Home Gardening Forum

Friend said I needed to kick some butts...

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Little did he know, but that was EXACTLY what I was planning to do this AM, LOL!!! Heck, we have to have something to eat during the week anyway & everybody like pulled pork.

I got them seasoned up, ready to go yesterday morning & also did the final sauce at that time (I'll post the recipe for the sauce at the end - it's dead simple).

To prep the butts, rinse them off & pat them dry. Now trim off the excess fat, what we want is no more than 1/8" - 1/4" cap of fat on the top & then clean it up to shape it so there no hang pieces to burn/dry out. Get some yellow mustard & coat the entire butt with it (yes it is best to use your hands)... Not too much, just enough to make your BBQ rub stick. Once that is done, double wrap it in Saran Wrap & put it back into the refrigerator for 12 - 24 hrs (make sure you have it on a plate (or pan) - it will leak).

Pulled_Pork_1.jpg

Now get your finishing sauce ready. This is our version of Eastern NC Pulled Pork Sauce
  • 2 Cups Cider or white vinegar (I use Cider)
  • 2 TBS sugar or packed brown sugar (I use brown).
  • 2 TSP salt
  • 1 TSP fresh ground black pepper
  • 1 TSP cayenne or hot red pepper flakes (I use cayenne)
This sauce keeps virtually indefinitely and just requires a little shake before you use it. I told you it was simple!!!

Pulled_Pork_Fininsh_Sauce.jpg

The prep is now done and you're good to go.

Now I don't know what the weather is like elsewhere, but its hot here, yesterday was 109 degrees so I prefer to start smoking things early... Like 0'dark thirty (1:00 AM) when it is a cool 80 degrees. :D That being the case the butts went on the smoker as soon as I got the coals in & the pit's temperature stabilized at 225 (which was about 2:00 AM).

Pulled_Pork_Temp.jpg

Pulled_Pork_2.jpg

Now it's just a matter of time, so I went in the house to make coffee & peruse the internet for a while...

Every hour or so I added more coals to keep the temperature at 225 & to check the butts... Here is what they looked like at 7:00 AM (5 hrs) & looking real good!!!

Pulled_Pork_3.jpg

S

Slowngreen

OMG those look amazing Ranch! I bet your place smells insanely good at all times.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Thanks, Slowngreen. The only thing I smell right now is the the bread baking, LOL!!!

At the 7 hr mark, I put the butts in a foil pan to capture some of them juices... Here is a picture at the 8 hr mark (internal temp is now 170) so I'm going to foil them at this point. I'll check them in a few hours... The target internal temp is 190 degrees, that is when I'll take them off to rest (the will continue to cook during that period.

Pulled_Pork_4.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Internal temp is now 195 degrees, so they are done. I pulled them off & they are now 'resting' peaceably in the house for an hour or so, then the meat will be forked... Our friends should start arriving soon for dinner!!! The dogs are guarding it because the know that they will have some of the juices on their suppers tonight!!!

I'll post the pics of the finished product & summarize the process later... Pay attention, there may be a pop quiz next week, LOL!!!!

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Ok, the internal temperature was a shade over 200+ degrees, so I drained all the juice/rendered fat off, cleaned the pan & started pulling. Here is the finished product. Glad I took a picture since it'll be gone soon, LOL!!!

See y'all tomorrow, time to get cleaned up...

Pulled_Pork_5.jpg