• Join Home Gardening Forum

Garden books

M

Mr_Yan

Why not throw this thread up. I have a few dead tree edition gardening books I've bought so why not give some fast reviews on them.

The Kitchen Garden by Sylvia Thompson
This one has a bunch of info and was written such that it was fun to read also. About 3/4 of the book covers different plants with culture info and recommended cultivators. The last 1/4 of the book deals with planning the garden, timing charts, pests, and the like. I borrowed this from the library then went out and bought it. It is actually out of print but I picked up a hardcover of it for about $15.

The Midwest Fruit and Vegtable Book by James Fizzell
Smaller but fast reference with just enough info in it. My mom had it - who knows why as she can't keep a plant alive - and gave it to me. I don't think I would buy it.

Tough Plants for Northern Gardens by Felder Rushing
Good book for doing a low maintenance ornamental garden or DIY landscaping for those of us that actually get snow in the winter. No veg in it at all. The author is amusing and doesn't take himself too seriously.

All New Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew
If you've never grown a veg in your life get this book from the library but don't waste your money buying it. It's written at about a 3rd grade level and the author can't go two pages without congratulating himself on coming up with the idea of raised beds. Spend your $20 elsewhere.

The Backyard Homestead by Carleen Madigan
This book is dangerious. It has awesome ideas that will make your wife (at least mine) cringe. On the other hand the book is completely devoid of actual useful information if you really want to do anything.

Newspaper, Pennies, Cardboard & Eggs for Growing a Better Garden by Roger Yepsen
This is kind of like printing off a bunch of forum or blog posts on gardening and putting them in a book. Several alternative uses for things we have around the house already and many of the ideas or uses we already know about. Not sure if it will be worth moving when we move houses next time but it's like surfing the net - consume time looking at ideas and you may actually try one.

I keep seed catalogs for the year too. There's a wealth of info in those.