• Join Home Gardening Forum

Homebrewers - small batch anyone

M

Mr_Yan

So guys I know there are several brewers on this forum.

I have the hankering to do another batch. I've done three batches of extract kits 5-gallons each and two were great but one I over heated when steeping the grains. Now I've been reading some on doing small batches - 1 to 3 gallons - of all grain. I no longer have access to propane burner and it's really cold out so I'd rather not do a 5 gallon batch. I do however have an electric stove that can boil two or three gallons at a time.

Has anyone played with the 3 gallon brew in a bag style batches?
Has anyone done the 1 gallon beer batches?

Usually it is only me drinking the beer around here so a small batch would make sense too.

Any thoughts?

Lost in mn

Planting Zone
Small batch brews are just as good as large batch however as you noted it's easier to overheat the Wort. Stay away from the 3 gal bag brews I have had nothing but bad luck with those. Leaks, hard to regulate temps and ya never know how long it's been sitting there on the shelf.

All grain will be better than Extract brews but will have more sediment.

If I were you I would find a good All Grain recipe that you want to try and either half or 1/3rd it. Have the brew store mill the grain onsite for you instead of buying pre ground. Everything else is basically the same. Just watch the temp of your Wort when boiling and also while fermenting in your primary. Less gallons = quicker temp dispersion. I have been seeing a lot of small batch brews hitting the market in the last couple years.

When trying a new recipe I will try a small batch first to see if it's worth going with the 23 gal batches.

By the way when making beer you should only be boiling about 1.5-2 gallons of water with the extract or grain bags. If you were making 5 gallon batches you never boil all 5 gallons. This creates major issues with chilling of the wort and allows extra time for contamination to enter it. Use a pot large enough to boil your initial wort, then once boiled, add 1 gallon of very cold water to chill it. Then add the wort to 2 more gallons of cold water in your primary fermenter. This brings the wort temp to about 80 degrees.

Good Luck let us know how it turns out!!!!

M

Mr_Yan

@Lost in mn I'm not too good at following directions sometimes and against your suggestion I did a BIAB batch. I started with 4.5 gallons of water as a full volume boil and when all was said and done got 25 bottles of beer. I just cracked one open last night and it is by far the best beer I have brewed yet.

I recognize that better can be done with mash tuns and the like but at this point I am happy with my single batch of BIAB and will do at least one more BIAB.