• Join Home Gardening Forum

How Epsom Salt can improve your gardening

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Epsom salt has long been known as a garden supplement to help create healthy and vibrant plants, along with lush grass and full roses. Epsom salt enhances fertilizer and soils capabilities to bring deeper levels of vitality to your gardens composition. Made almost entirely of Magnesium Sulfate, Epsom salt is rich in these two minerals that are both crucial to healthy plant life.

How Epsom salt works

Magnesium - plants benefit from this mineral by strengthening the plant cell walls. Magnesium also plays a critical role in photosynthesis by assisting with the creation of chlorophyll which is used by plants to convert sunlight into food. Magnesium also allows the plant to soak up phosphorus and nitrogen which server as fertilizer components in the soil.

Sulfate - aides in the creation of chlorophyll as well while also joining with the soil to make key nutrients more effective for plants including nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium. Used in conjunction with Magnesium, Sulfate creates a vitamin full of minerals, nourishment, and health benefits for your garden.

How to use Epsom salt

Epsom salt and houseplants: Perhaps the most natural and easiest place to start with Epsom Salt is with the houseplants. Epsom salt is such a simple way to increase their blooming and health, and is something that you can include easily as a part of a normal routine. For houseplants, simply dissolve 2 tablespoons per gallon of water, and substitute this solution for normal watering at least once a month – although it is safe to do this as often as desired.

Prepping new soil with Epsom salt: Sprinkle 1 cup of Epsom salt per 100 square feet while working the salt into the soil before seeing or planting will help seeds germinate better by providing a nourishing start.

Epsom salt in Vegetable gardens: Just as prepping new soil with Epsom salt, using Epsom salt in your vegetable garden will help revitalize your garden and is perfectly safe for most fruits, vegetables, and herbs - with the exception of Sage. Since Epsom salt does not cause build up or harm plants when used, it can be safely used during any stage of the vegetable life.

Tomatoes and Epsom salt: Tomatoes are know to be prone to magnesium deficiency later in the growing season, and they display this through yellowing of their leaves and less production. Tomatoes can benefit from Epsom Salt treatments both at the beginning of their planting and throughout their seasonal life. When gardening, simply add one or two tablespoons per hole before planting the seeds or transplants. Then as the tomato matures, either work in one tablespoon of Epsom Salt per foot of plant height around the base of the tomato plant.

Epsom salt and Peppers: Like tomatoes, peppers are also prone to magnesium deficiency and thrive much more fully with the use of Epsom salt. This can be done in the same way as tomatoes—through adding one or two tablespoons per hole before planting (for seeds and grown plants), and then twice a week based on the height of the plant. Another popular way of feeding peppers Epsom salt is to dissolve 1 Tsp per qt in a water spray bottle then mist the entire plant, tops, and underneath the leaves once a week.

Epsom salt and your lawn: Epsom salt can help prevent your lawn from yellowing and creating lush, softer, and deeper green grass. It can be applied using a sprayer or lawn spreader. Use 3 pounds per 1,250 square feet, 6 pounds per 2,500 square feet, etc.

Trees and Epsom salt: Trees too benefit from Epsom salt just the same as other plants, by allowing more minerals to be absorbed through the roots, making your trees stronger and healthier. If your trees bloom or produce fruit, Epsom Salt can be particularly useful due to its ability to increase the production of both flowers and bounty. Simply work in two tablespoons per nine square feet into the soil over the root zone three or four times a year. Planning to complete this at the beginning of each season is particularly helpful for preparing the tree for the change in weather, and allowing them to become stronger and healthier.

R

Rolex

Incredible info. I never heard of that before and I've known some really hardcore gardeners.

N

Northernfox

oh man any type of salt I would have a hard time using in my garden. although that does make a great experiment and you all know I am down for a good experiment.

M

mountain man

Doesn't sound like you're worried about using too much Epson Salts. I do want to try using some.

valley

N

Northernfox

id be careful using too much. they can cause an ion exchange with some of the trace minerals that are important to your plant ;)

S

sreece

Epsom Salt is one of the key ingredients also in the Mittleider nutrient mixes. But even before I started using Mittleider, I always threw a spoonful of Epsom salt into each hole when planting both peppers and tomatoes. Thanks for detailing all the uses and benefits. I didn't really know why - just did it after hearing several years ago that it would be good for plants. :)

H

happyflowerlady

I think that I have heard this mentioned before, but this article really explains why it works so well to help plants grow. It seems like something well worth trying, for sure.

E

ErnieCopp

Same here as Flower lady. First time i have seen any detail given on how to use it. I will give it a try.

Ernie

reeltime

Planting Zone
8B
I have used Epsom salt for many years thanks to a grandmother with a very green thumb.:) .I found it to be be Mora beneficial to apply as need as far yellowing leaves and to promote blooms.