• Join Home Gardening Forum

How to get rid of mosquitoes in self watering container

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
I've been using containers for my gardening needs for a long while now, longer than I've been using the raised garden, and have never had a problem with mosquitoes until this year it seems.

My self watering container consists of two buckets stacked on top of the other. The top bucket has several small holes drilled at the bottom and one large hole in the center of the bottom for a net cup along with one more hole (1/2inch) to allow a PVC pipe to be fed through which is how I pour the water into the second / bottom bucket. The bottom bucket has two small holes drilled on the side to allow drainage of overflow water.

The other day I picked up the top bucket and noticed several mosquitoes flying out. I've dumped the water and hosed it out and then put it back together again. However this doesn't seem to have stopped the mosquitoes from coming back.

If there a safe and effective way to getting rid of these things out of the bottom of by bucket? These containers are growing peppers and herbs so I don't want to be using something awfully toxic as we'll be eating the things on these plants.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
'Mosquito Dunks' is what I use. You can get them at Home Depot, Lowes, WalMart, garden centers, etc. for less than $10. They're organic & contain a bacteria BTI toxic only to mosquito larvae (non-toxic to all other wildlife/pets/fish/humans).

In small containers, just bust it into quarters & you're good-to-go for about 30 days.

M

Mr_Yan

Another way is to exclude the mosquitoes from the fill tube. I used a small cap over the top of the tubes on mine. Or I have read of people using part of a coarse dish scrub pad stuffed in the tube and you pour through the scrub pad