• Join Home Gardening Forum

I haven't Been Around Much Lately-Heart Attack.

whistech

Planting Zone
9a
On Monday morning, July 29th, I had a real wake up call. I woke up with a pain in my chest, but thought it was just part of the akes and pains of growing older. I got up, fixed the coffee pot and getting ready to sit on my back porch to have a cigarette and a cup of coffee while it was still somewhat cool and then I would finish picking purple hull peas. My chest pain was getting worse, it felt like someone was squeezing my heart in a vice. I decided to drive myself to the emergency room at one of the two hospitals located within about 5 or 6 miles of my house. I drove to Saint Lukes in The Woodlands, walked into the emergency room and told the lady behind the desk I was having severe chest pains.

The next thing I know, I wake up with all the tubes and stuff in me, but I realized that I was not in pain. Apparently, I killed over at the desk in the emergency room and my heart had stopped. I guess I got pretty quick care. The cardiologist said within 20 minutes of my arrival, he had inserted a "propeller pump" in my heart and put in 2 stents to get the blood flowing. The next day he removed the pump. Two days after removing the pump, he put in two additional stents in the other side of my heart. I may have some minor organ damage from when my heart stopped, but I can tell you I'm very lucky to be alive.

Now, about one and one-half months later, I feel extremely good. I haven't had a cigarette since the fateful day and can say with certainty that I will never smoke again. I am in a cardiac rehab exercise program 3 days a week and I walk the mornings I am not exercising.

I am thankful the Good Lord gave me a few more days, weeks, months or years on this earth and I am enjoying every minute I have here. I just want to say I am glad to be back posting and visiting here.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Man, I for one, am glad you're doing better (I was wonder where you had gone). Take it easy & slowly work your way back to normal...

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Now, about one and one-half months later, I feel extremely good. I haven't had a cigarette since the fateful day and can say with certainty that I will never smoke again.

@whistech That's all great news, glad you've given up smoking and feeling much better and I'm sure you're only going to be feeling even better with time.

Glad you're back, we've missed you!

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B
Damn! Glad your back in the saddle! Good call on going to hospital and not ignoring it. I think this is a wake up call for all of us...

S

Slowngreen

Huge congrats on quiting smoking even if it had to happen so harshly.