• Join Home Gardening Forum

It never gets easier...

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
As some of you may have noticed, I haven't been posting much the past month or so. I've been out of sorts lately...

My dog Jake has been sick, due to what I believe was cancer of the lymph nodes (common problem with older labs). Last week he stopped eating & his body started shutting down. Last night he said goodbye to me with his eyes. His breathing was shallow & rapid... I doubted that he would live through the night to make the final trip to the vet (but he did).

His brother Harley has had diabetes (diagnosed last December) & was going down hill as well. Needless to say, Karen & I have been trying to come to grips with putting them both down at the same time, as we doubted that Harley would take well to the loss of his brother (they have never been apart since the moment they were conceived). We've had them for over 10 yrs & to us it's was like killing our own kids.

This morning we made the final trip... We said our good byes & told them we'd see them on the other side. They took it like troopers & crossed over at 0900 hrs.

RIP Jake & Harley, you've both given us more than we could ever repay.

Jake_2005.jpg

Jake_2011.jpg

Harley_2005.jpg

Harley_2011.jpg

M

Mr_Yan

It never does get easy Mr Ranch. Those photos clearly show they were well cared for and loved dogs.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
The house seems so awful quiet & empty this morning.

Finished washing & putting their stuff up... it's hard but part on the closure process. I don't want Karen seeing constant reminders (hell, it's hard enough for me).

Jake&Harley_Back_Porch.jpg

E

ErnieCopp

Sam,
Nothing is worse than having to put a dog you love down, and that last loving look they give you make it terrible, but having to do both i am sure made it more than twice as bad.

We are going to be facing that before too long with our two dogs.

Condolences,and courage, My friend, ,
Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Put their collars/tags & a note in their urns, then dug a deep hole for Sunday morning... I also ordered a bronze marker from a foundry in England that will be placed in the adjacent flowerbed when it arrives...

lab-puppies.jpg

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
That was hard to read Sam. Please accept our prayers for you and your wife.
I can't imagine loosing both(Jake and Harley) at the same time. God bless..