• Join Home Gardening Forum

Linux on an old laptop

M

Mr_Yan

@Mike or @w_r_ranch
So I've hit the limit of the python IDK I was using on my chromebook and need to revamp an old laptop to a usable machine. I'm thinking I should wipe Windows Vista from it and install Linux. The specs on the hardware look reasonable (Toshiba Satelite my wife bought about 11 years ago):

1.7 GHz Intel T2080 (32 bit)
1021 MB ram (call it a Gig)
native screen resolution 1280 x 800 px
110 Gig Hard drive

My goals are to run python as a learning platform and maybe move to something like C or C++ compiling - again basic learning not powerful programs yet.

I am a linux newbe. Which build or flavor of linux should I look to? What are some points I will have to be ready for (sound card support, video card support, wireless card...)?

Thanks

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Linux Mint (which is what I use). I also have it running on an old Dell laptop (M70) which is about the same specs as yours. The generic drivers all seem to work.

You can download it here.

M

Mr_Yan

Thanks @w_r_ranch

Now we need to sift through and port 100 g of stuff - mostly home vids I hope.

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
@Mr_Yan I would agree with @w_r_ranch - Linux Mint is slick and pretty easy learning curve coming from a Windows user.

Just to throw another wrench in the mix though. You might be interested in looking into Amazon AWS cloud based IDE (used to be Cloud9), https://aws.amazon.com/cloud9/. The IDE is free to use and you only pay (very little) for the resources used when deploying code.