• Join Home Gardening Forum

Mosquito treatment for backyard

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
So I've posted about plants that repel mosquitoes but have an upcoming event that I'd like to treat the backyard for mosquitoes.

I've seen several available products, some of which treat for fleas, ticks, spiders, and all that good stuff but wanted to check if anyone here has any experience with these types of products and how to apply them.

One very important note, it must be safe around kids and dogs such as mosquito barrier or Dr. T's Granules.

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Well been doing some reading last night and today. I've picked up a bottle of Telstar P insecticide. Good to use indoor and outdoors as well as said to be safe for kids and pets once dried. Reviews online seem to rave about it so I'm looking forward to seeing how this does over the weekend since we'll have a number of people over for my little guys birthday!

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
So I sprayed Tuesday when I got home... it rained that evening. It then rained again yesterday and this morning... yes it's raining again. Luckily it's supposed to clear up tomorrow and throughout the weekend. I'm thinking I'll do another light spray tomorrow and see how it works out for the weekend.

Meadowlark

Planting Zone
I live way out in the country...no mosquito treatment programs around here. We do not have a mosquito problem, however...and we have plenty of breeding areas.

The solution: ponds with Gambusia (mosquito fish) and bluegills. Mosquitoes just aren't a problem...and chemicals are not required...just let the fish do their thing.

E

ElviraBaldwin

Thank you so much for the advices. I will too follow this.