• Join Home Gardening Forum

Mr Yan 2020 - New Veg Garden in Michigan

M

Mr_Yan

OK this year I am starting a new garden at a new house.

Limitations
  • Don't close on the house until early May - this is also about the same date as the last frost.
  • Putting limited money into the new garden - I want to save money for my family and show that a garden does not have to result in a "$64 tomato".
  • Michigan is under a strict "shelter in place" order and gardening / garden shops were explicitly called out and deemed non-essential by the Governor.
Things I have going for me that other newbees won't
  • I have about 10 years experience in a very similar climate.
  • I have most / all the tools I will need.
  • I have a seed pack collection which will nearly eliminate my need to buy many seeds.
  • Word is the previous owner has had a garden set up on the property before - for about the last 3 decades.
So far I have bought a few packs of seeds and a Jiffy brand starting flat with peat-pots in it. I am starting a few plants indoor but not many as I don't have much space or materials now and will have to move them.

Today I am starting these seeds:
  • 3 Lacinato "Dino" kale
  • 3 Red Russian "Commie" Kale
  • 6 Spinach - Monstrueux de Viroflay
  • 4 Brussles Sprouts
  • 10 tomatoes
  • 9 bell peppers
  • 5 Italian frying peppers
Season to date I have spent $14.
Season to date I have harvested nothing.

M

Mr_Yan

For my garden beds I am planning on raised beds and think I will use corrugated galvanized metal again.

I like the looks of this style galvanized beds used in this YouTube vid

The soil here is generally good and I don't think I need tall raised beds again. The raised beds define the garden area and walkways and I find to be much easier to maintain than in-ground style.

What I do need to figure out a standard way to slide 1/2" EMT conduit into the sides and trellis supports into each bed. What I found with my last beds is 3/4" PVC is about a perfect tube to slide the conduit into. But 1/2" conduit is too light weight to support tomatoes or pole beans.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I grown determinate tomatoes (4' tall) so I have no problems with 3/4" PVC. I cut the pipe into 5' lengths & set the 18" deep.

Since to grow indeterminate varieties, use 1" PVC & you shouldn't have an issue. I easily get 10 yrs of use out of mine & the sun is a lot stronger here than where you're at.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Thanks, Pound the PVC in the ground? Rebar in the ground and PVC over it?

Is that green nursery tape?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I just pound it id with the flat side of a framing hammer.

Yes, I tie the plants to the PVC pipe with 1/2" gardening tape.

M

Mr_Yan

After playing in this garden soil I am re-thinking my tomato trellis based on the single post / PVC / conduit as a stake. This soil is so soft and sandy I was able to drive a heavy duty U post 4 feet into the ground with little effort. Even when 4' down each hit of the sledge was still driving it 4 to 6 inches deeper. I just see a wind knocking down the plant and "up rooting" the whole post unless it is driven several feet in.

I have about 24 tomatoes in 5 rows of 5 plants (one died) spaced about 24" between plants and 30" between rows - but I am going by memory.

Can I build a ladder style trellis for the whole row?
Use 2 ladder style trellises as saw horses then hang cords down for Florida weave?
Can I use the 10' pipes driven 3 feet into the ground and put some cross braces on top?
Do I just buy a roll of concrete wire mesh, woven wire fence, or cattle panel and make rigid trellis like I am used to?

In the past I have always used rigid trellis or string the tomatoes on vertical cords.

Screw it, just buy some of the conical tomatoe cages for $1. That will work for a Brandywine right?

thanks guys