• Join Home Gardening Forum

My Yukon Gold Potato Plants are Dying

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
I'm posting a picture of my Yukon Gold potato box whose plants are dying. They did flower, but the strong winds we've had blew all the flowers off a few weeks ago. I've read that I should let the plants completely die and then wait two weeks before harvesting. Is this correct? Is this what is happening with these plants?

My two 4' x 4' boxes with red potatoes in them aren't dying. They are still going strong, although they did flower about the same time as the Yukon Gold. I guess this is why I read that you can't plant Yukon Gold's with other types of potatoes - because they mature earlier, I guess?

Sorry I have so many questions, but I appreciate y'all's help! Great gardening group!YukonGold.jpg

M

majorcatfish

Yes everything you have read is correct !
Just think in a couple weeks you get to hunt for hidden treasure...
Congratulations on your potatoes

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
As Catfish said, leave the potatoes in the ground for a couple more weeks if you want large baking-sized potatoes. Continue to water the plants & watch the vines. Once the vines on your potato plants have died back, you should start to harvest your crop. Allow them to cure for a few weeks before storing them & don't wash the dirt off of them until you are ready to use them.

In a normal year we harvest our potatoes at the end of May, so yours are right on schedule. I look forward to seeing pics of your harvest!!!

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Do I let the potato plants die completely, like the one in the front, right corner of the box and then wait two weeks to harvest? When do I start counting the two weeks or just plan on harvesting at the end of May? What if I leave them in the box, under the dirt until I'm ready to use them - will they rot? I'm really excited about my potatoes. I haven't had homegrown potatoes since my days on the farm.

Sam - thanks for the "don't wash the dirt off tip," because I would have.