• Join Home Gardening Forum

New Chainsaw

Rockytop

Planting Zone
8B
I purchased a new Stihl 16" chainsaw not long ago to clear some areas for a game feeder and used it for a couple of days solid. I put it on the shelf full of fuel that they recommended me use for storing. I tried to get it out the other day and crank it up just to run some fuel through the carbs and I can not get the thing to crank. Any suggestions from the Sages I can do to get this thing conditioned to start?

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
@Rockytop A bit off topic but, what model chainsaw did you buy and how do you like it? I'm looking at picking up a new one myself.

Rockytop

Planting Zone
8B
STIHL MS 250 W/18 B&C

I love the Saw itself. It was very hard to get cranked for the first time and I do blame it on learning how to use it for the first time. Rookie mistakes.. Learn and live.. Used it litterally for a full Saturday. About 8 hrs with a few breaks for refueling and water. The next day, I tried to crank it again and flooded the darn thing. I let it sit for 30 mins, cranked after 5 mins of pulling the sheet out if it. Cut a big tree down and let it set for a couple of months. Lent it to a buddy of mine and he couldn't get it started. I tried pulling on it for 5 mins and just give upon it. I am going to do as Ranchman said and shoot some gas oil mix into the the air-cleaner and we shall see if I can get her to run. If not, I will take it in and let them change out my blade and tune her up if she needs it. I'll let you know the outcome.

On another note, the guy that sold it to me (dealer) said its a beast. For the most part.. it did the job. $359.00 dollars worth but I ran the stuff out of her for that day so it more than paid for itself. The other toys I purchased were well worth it as well. The "Climb Right" safety restraint / lanyard, The "Buckingham Mfg. Co. Arborists Saddle set was the "stuff".. as well as my climbing spikes.. there is not a tree out there that I am scared to climb and cut on. I have had a blast crawling up and down trees trimming and cutting.

E

ErnieCopp

Startig fluid or Ether will help start almost anything. Never had to use it on a chain saw, but have on many other things both diesel and gas..

Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Don't use starting fluid or ether, there is no oil in it & you will burn up the reed valves. Like I said, just remove the air cleaner & squirt a little of the 'fuel mix on it.

E

ErnieCopp

I would not run it on either, but if i was out in the woods, and did not want to lose a day's work going back to town, i think i would take a chance on it to get it started.

Ernie

Meadowlark

Planting Zone
You just can't beat a Stihl....but they can be hard to start.

Never use ethanol fuel in them and always replace old fuel with fresh fuel every month or so, two at most. Also use a fuel stabilizer even for short storage durations.

Be careful...very serious tool that can result in extreme injuries quickly.