3 Eggs, beaten
1/3 Cup sugar
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 Loaf of stale French bread
1 Teaspoon cinnamon
Dash of nutmeg
1/2 Cup raisins (optional)

In a bowl, combine milk, eggs, sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg & vanilla. Whisk it well to combine.

Tear the bread into small pieces & put them in a 2 quart buttered baking dish (sprinkle raisins over bread, if using). Pour the milk mixture over bread & allow it to completely saturate the bread before baking.

Bake uncovered at 300 degrees for about 50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm with vanilla sauce or a bourbon sauce, if desired. Enjoy!!!

Bourbon Sauce

Bourbon_Sauce_021915.jpg

1 Cup packed brown sugar
1/2 Cup butter
2 Tablespoons whipping cream
4 Tablespoons bourbon

In 1-quart heavy saucepan, heat all sauce ingredients to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved. Serve sauce over warm bread pudding. Store in refrigerator.

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
I can't say I've had bread pudding before but it sure looks good.

E

ErnieCopp

Sam,
That solves one mystery. I have wondered what you and the missus did with all that bread you baked.

When i am in New Orleans, i always go to a restaurant there, Seven Sisters or Two Sisters or some number of Sisters is the name in their old family home in the French Quarter, and it is good, too.

And, of course, my mother used to make it, from left over homemade bread. She baked every loaf the eight of us ate, until 1936, when we moved to CA.

Ernie