• Join Home Gardening Forum

Post up some pics of your vegetable garden!

Ibtsoom

Planting Zone
9A
I apologize if there is already a thread for this - I looked around but didn't see one. Here's a few pics of my raised beds and some of the production that I've managed in 2013..

Always looking for advice as I'm still fairly new to this - about 3 years ago I moved to all raised beds as opposed to the big plot in the yard and I like it a lot. Easier to maintain and more production per square foot.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    864.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    700.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 049.JPG
    049.JPG
    821.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 052.JPG
    052.JPG
    517.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    773.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    875.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    899.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    737.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    681.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    818.5 KB · Views: 13

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Nice, clean looking gardens @Ibtsoom! My garden was all in containers this year and I didn't get any pictures. Next year I'm hoping to go with a raised garden and will certainly post pictures then!

Northern Minnesota

Planting Zone
3b
This is just my 2nd post on this forum, so lets see if I can figure out the picture posting.
I don't have any current pictures of my main veggie garden that is currently under expansion. Expansion means moving the deer fencing!
There were a few veggies planted in my fruit plot as well. Tomatoes, Cukes, and Dill.
The plants under the netting are blueberries. The raspberries put out so much fruit, they don't need protecting from the birds.
Other fruit not show are several varieties of apples, sour cherries, and plums.

Attachments

• Fruit Patch July 22, 2013 002.JPG
    Fruit Patch July 22, 2013 002.JPG
    430.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Fruit Patch July 22, 2013 001.JPG
    Fruit Patch July 22, 2013 001.JPG
    426.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Fruit Patch July 22, 2013 004.JPG
    Fruit Patch July 22, 2013 004.JPG
    434.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Fruit Patch July 22, 2013 003.JPG
    Fruit Patch July 22, 2013 003.JPG
    421.5 KB · Views: 9

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Minnesota - what type of netting are you using there and how well does it hold up against the weather?

I've got some strawberries that are attracting birds and my dogs and am looking for some protection for next year.

Northern Minnesota

Planting Zone
3b
The netting was from "American Netting" www.americannettings.com

Their green bird netting comes in a lot of different sizes. I bought the large 15ft X 500ft netting roll. Both blueberry rows are over 70 ft long so that used up about 200 ft when wrapped around the ends of the row.. The remainder will be used to cover my sour cherries when they start producing more. I also plan on adding a raised strawberry bed next spring as well. There are big savings "per running foot" in buying the larger rolls if you can find someone to split the large roll with.

This is a woven product and much more supple and sturdy that the extruded types. It is rated for 5 to 8 years. I assume that is because of UV exposure. My blueberries ripen over about a 6 week span. I have to cover them about 2 weeks prior to ripening. This means the netting gets about 2 months of UV exposure before it is put away until the next season. I've only used it for 2 summers so far so I'm not sure how many seasons it will actually last.

Northern Minnesota

Planting Zone
3b
Thank you Ibtsoom. We have been making quite a few raspberry and blueberry pies this year and last year. It is surprising how much more intense the flavor is in a raspberry pie than the other fruits. We do put up about 40 or 50 jars of raspberry jam as well. The list of family and friends that want jam seems to keep growing.
I'm hoping that next year will be our 1st cherry pie year.

I'm going to start doing more raised gardening like you do. I really like the crisp edges that you have and it really gives a better design element. The 1st one will be for strawberries, with more to follow. The daughter wants me to design a series of raise bed gardens for her back yard as well. A great winter project.