• Join Home Gardening Forum

Rahab's 2014 Garden

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Okay, I have both pest questions (that I will post in the appropriate thread) and a show and tell on my 2014 garden. I am still in the process of expanding/planting, so the garden is still trashed. However, I wanted to show you my potato boxes (4' x 4'). I am using a variety of soils and mixes throughout my garden area to see which ones will produce the best. In my potato boxes, I used a raised bed mix with rock dust and various other ingredients that I purchased from my favorite, local nursery. Because potatoes prefer acidic soil, and the bedding mix is "neutral," I shredded up a bale of pine needles and blended them into the bedding soil mix before dumping everything into the box and planting my seed potatoes on Valentine's Day, 2014. I did two additional 4' x 4' boxes with the same bedding mix, but without the shredded pine needles. The box with the pine needles blended in really took off and the other two boxes pale in comparison. I've taken photos to show you.

The box in the picture by itself has Red Pontiac potatoes with the shredded pine needles blended in with the mix to add acidity. I planted these in furrows with a partial seed potato in every square foot of the box (4/furrow length). I got three furrows/box = 12 plants. I kept just the surface watered lightly for two weeks and then used Jobe's Organics Fertilizer Spikes for Vegetables, 2-7-4, that I bought at Home Depot around each seed potato. Houston has had light rain almost every day since I added the fertilizer spikes, so I haven't had to water. These potato plants simply shot up and filled the entire box. I have hilled them once, two weeks ago, but it's time to do it again. I will hill all three boxes for the second time this weekend, as we are supposed to have a break from the rain.

The photo with the two boxes side-by-side, I did the same as outlined above, but I didn't add in any shredded pine needles to the soil in the box on the left. The smaller plants in the box on the left are Yukon Gold, but are comparable in size to the second box of Pontiac Red potatoes I planted without any shredded pine needles either. When I hilled the potatoes two weeks ago and realized the difference, I put shredded pine needles on top of the other two boxes of potatoes, as it was too late to blend them into the soil. I haven't finished layering the top of the Yukon Gold potato box completely, yet, because of the rain.

I had to add an additional board to the box of Pontiac Reds where I added the pine needles in with the original raised bed mix to keep the mix I used to hill the potatoes from falling out. This box is now 18 inches deep and the other two boxes are still their original 12 inch depths, i.e. I haven't needed to add a third board to them.

It's time to hill them again. My question is, do I just hill the potato plant up to the bottom row of leaves or six inches up on the plant, which will cover some of the leaves?

RedPwPineNeedles.jpg PineNeedw:wo.jpg PineNeedw:wo.jpg

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Whistech;

Thanks! It's just frustrating dealing with the bugs and critters who come after it. I see you're in Spring. Do you have pictures of your garden or what are you growing since you're quite a bit further north than I am. At least you have plenty of pine needles in your neck of the woods.

M

majorcatfish

Very nice garden rahab
as for hilling your potatoes in your photo it looks like it's time to add soil to the top board, which i am guessing that would be 6-8"
and from the seed potato would be 12" deep which is about the right depth, but would keep a eye out for any potatoes that are above the soil if so add some more soil.
since you live in a rainy/ humid area you might start thinking about applying a fungicide for early/late blight a good product for this is called
mancozeb made by bonide,

if interested heres the products label http://www.bonide.com/lbonide/backlabels/l861.pdf

keep up the good work.....

whistech

Planting Zone
9a
Rahab, I haven't taken any pictures this year. The only thing I have planted right now is onions and potatoes. I plan on planting green beans next week. Here are some pictures from last year.
http://homegardeningforum.com/community/posts/470/

You are right, there's lots of pine straw here. I am running much later than last year. I opened a pint of green beans for supper last night and noticed I had canned them on 4/27/2013.

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Thank you all! Houston has been blessed with some great spring rain this year, but it has also come with stout winds that have blown many flowers off my plants. Houston isn't in the severe drought zone due to this. I love not having to water very often. I think I'm going to have a bumper crop of tomatoes, because I've been reading how to fertilize this year and I'm apparently giving the plants what they need. I have "two-staged" my tomato and pepper plantings this year. Will this help the "second planting" to produce longer or the summer heat just gets them all?

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Thanks, Sam. Spent most of the day graduating high school seniors in the family. Checked the garden when I got home and killed another handful of leaf hopper nymphs. Picked one more red tomato, peppers, purple onions and strawberries. Hopefully, I'll start getting some produce every day. I'm afraid everything might ripen at the same time. My blackberry jam turned out so good, I got a call from a cousin tonight who said, "Hey, I'm going to stop and buy a bunch of strawberries so I can come over to your house and make strawberry jam tomorrow in your machine." (I took some of the blackberry jam to the family funeral in Louisiana and passed it out to some of the cousins for a treat.) My house might get to be pretty popular until they break down and buy their own machines.

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
That's true. My cousin came over to make strawberry jam today. We made the first batch with Stevia for her mother-in-law who's diabetic. We'll never make the mistake of using Stevia in jam again. MAJOR after taste. Bleh... I asked her if she wanted to do the second batch half and half, but she said, "No, I'm going for the full leaded." She left here with all four pint jars of the strawberry jars with Stevia; four pint jars of strawberry jam with the real sugar; two more pints of blackberry jam (that I made, but her husband liked it so much, he told her to bring home some more:)); a pint of kumquat/orange marmalade that was the first batch I made with my Ball jam machine; and two pints of Candied Jalapeno Peppers that I made last week (I think I'm going to have to adjust the recipe. She's going to be my taste critic after the candied jalapenos sit two more weeks.) We also took a stroll through my garden and I picked her some ripe tomatoes, peppers, purple onions and strawberries to take home with her, too. She's decided we need to have a once a month "canning session" at my place. Next month, we're going to try to make apple butter jelly.