• Join Home Gardening Forum

Redneck AC unit

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B
If you have $20 to blow, no pun intended...Then this does work! When i'm in the garage working it stays right at 55-60 degrees for about 1 1/2 hours. When I brought it inside the house if ranged from 45-50 degrees at 3+ hours. I was highly impressed to say the least. And before all the Redneck jokes come out, I'm proud to be one! hahahac1.jpg c2.jpg c3.jpg c4.jpg c5.jpg

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
1 1/2 hours? Are you filling the entire cooler up with ice or only half way?

M

Mr_Yan

Not so redneck just an antique rebooted. This is how buildings used to be cooled. Ever wonder where the tonnage rating of AC units came from? It is the equivalent heat absorption of that many tons of ice per day as it melts to liquid water.

Oddly enough building systems are now moving to freezing huge blocks of ice at night and using that as a heat sink for the AC system in the hot day as an energy saving method. The advantage of cooling the ice down with cheaper electricity rates and the cool of the night is enough to warrant storing the ice for a few hours.

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Who would've thought?

E

ErnieCopp

Old technology being recycled. There was huge ice plant by the RR tracks when i was a boy, and they would put big blocks of ice in a separate compartment at each end of the boxcars, loaded driectly through the top. Then wheel powered fans would blow the cold air through the cars, providing refridgerated tranportation.
Ernie