• Join Home Gardening Forum

Roasted Tomato Spaghetti Sauce

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Wash the tomatoes then cut them in half length-wise and then remove the seeds.

Arrange them in layers in a large roasting pan, skin side down. For each layer, spritz with a decent quality olive oil, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons chopped garlic, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (or more to taste), 2 tablespoons oregano, 2 tablespoons thyme, (you may substitute Italian herb seasoning), and 1 cup of chopped onions. Depending on the size & variety of your tomatoes, you will get about 5 layers into a roasting pan.

Roast for about 1 hour and 30 minutes at 350 degrees, or until skins start to wrinkle

Let them cool a little, then remove and discard the skins (they should just pinch off at this point. Put the tomato meat into an 8 quart pot.

Crush tomatoes using a hand-held mixing stick, until chunky.

Add 1 pound of cooked Italian sausage and 1 cup of wine (red or white).

Adjust your spices to suit your taste (we add about 2 teaspoons of crushed red pepper at this point).

Simmer for about 45 minutes and you're ready to eat!!! Two roasting pans will yield about 7 quarts of finished sauce. Enjoy!!!

SS_1.jpg SS_2.jpg SS_3.jpg SS_4.jpg SS_5.jpg

whistech

Planting Zone
9a
Mr. Ranch, I used your recipe to make spaghetti sauce and I want to tell you it is about the best I've ever had. I did double the amount of onions and garlic to suit my tastes. I started with 72 pounds of tomatoes and ended up with 7 quarts and 6 pints of sauce. The amazing thing about this recipe is first, the roasted flavor, and second, the ease of making the recipe. Keep posting those All Star recipes of yours! And Thank You.

M

mountain man

Sounds like a winner! Nice description.