• Join Home Gardening Forum

Shell Olympus!

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B
Was going through the internet and came across these pics. Some of my fasteners (well a lot of my fasteners) are on the giant rig! Pretty cool!

1017673_580984848611791_623969909_n_zps0b4558c9.jpg 58242_580984831945126_494838518_n_zps112e0da4.jpg 954641_580984885278454_1438602043_n_zps2612439b.jpg 944507_580984918611784_703013519_n_zpsee867a4b.jpg 995917_580984951945114_1638931893_n_zpsb3908923.jpg

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
The pictures are unbelievable, I can only imagine what it must be to see thing behemoth in person.

E

ErnieCopp

I am always fascinated by the technology of those rigs. In 1943 I had the wonderful opportunity to work as a roughneck and then Derrickman, for about six months, on what was probably the last Steam powered Drill rig in the country. A shortage of drill rigs because of the war caused the drilling company to resurrect the Steam rig that had been shut down since the early thirties. The difference between then and now is amazing.

Ernie

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B
Royal Dutch Shell Plc Olympus tension leg platform (TLP) set sail from Kiewit Offshore Services in Port Aransas, Texas, U.S., on Saturday, July 13, 2013. Olympus, Shell's biggest constructed tension leg platform, started the ten day, 425-mile voyage to Mars B Field in the Gulf of Mexico. Pretty awesome!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Always a great feeling to look at the 'finished product' that you had a hand in along the way. Congrats to you & the company!

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B
I am always fascinated by the technology of those rigs. In 1943 I had the wonderful opportunity to work as a roughneck and then Derrickman, for about six months, on what was probably the last Steam powered Drill rig in the country. A shortage of drill rigs because of the war caused the drilling company to resurrect the Steam rig that had been shut down since the early thirties. The difference between then and now is amazing.

Ernie

Ernie, It would be awesome to hear some of your stories and things you went through!! I bet there is a lot to learn from you.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Ernie, It would be awesome to hear some of your stories and things you went through!! I bet there is a lot to learn from you.

2X Ernie!!! Aside from your gardening experience, you have a wealth of information that needs to be passed. I would really like to hear about your experiences too! Please, start a thread.

E

ErnieCopp

Fin, Sam,
Well, that is quite a compliment. The conumdrum old men worry about most is that they might talk too much about the past, and on the other hand, if they do not talk about it, all the progress and knowledge their generatation accumulated will be lost or crowded out by more recent advances. I have written several articles for the Historical Construction Equipment Association, about the being a Cat Skinner in the 1940's, as well as the evolution of other types of equipment, but that was written for a targeted readership whose main interest was early equipment, and my articles were accompanied by pictures furnished from the Magazine's archives. And writing for a more varied group might not hold their interest, but its worth a try, and for sure, writing is easier than cutting down Blackberry vines.

I will "START AT THE BOTTOM, 73 YEARS AGO"

Ernie

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B
Fin, Sam,
Well, that is quite a compliment. The conumdrum old men worry about most is that they might talk too much about the past, and on the other hand, if they do not talk about it, all the progress and knowledge their generatation accumulated will be lost or crowded out by more recent advances. I have written several articles for the Historical Construction Equipment Association, about the being a Cat Skinner in the 1940's, as well as the evolution of other types of equipment, but that was written for a targeted readership whose main interest was early equipment, and my articles were accompanied by pictures furnished from the Magazine's archives. And writing for a more varied group might not hold their interest, but its worth a try, and for sure, writing is easier than cutting down Blackberry vines.

I will "START AT THE BOTTOM, 73 YEARS AGO"

Ernie

Great choice of words! Please don't be silent about the past, people need the past so they know not what to do in the future...