• Join Home Gardening Forum

Show us your pumpkins

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
If you have any, now is the time to showcase them!!!

Pumpkin_Moon.jpg

LOL!!! I ran across the above picture while doing some pumpkin research & thought I'd share it!!!

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
I'm going to be carving one this weekend, I'll definitely post a picture of it when I'm done.

E

ErnieCopp

The Pumpkin Lady would be a pretty expensive date in CA. I saw some the size of Soccer balls in the market for $7.00 each yesterday.

I wonder how much the Farmer got for those?

Ernie

M

Mr_Yan

These are store bought pumpkins.

I also have a 45 to 50 pound Musque de Provence from a coworker but it's on a pantry shelf until we have time to work with a lot of pumpkin.

M

Mr_Yan

I'll need to find a good pumpkin soup recipe. I've seen some good looking ones with kale too but have yet to try any. Do you have suggestions?

My family is also known to eat a double batch of pumpkin mini-muffins in 24 hours.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
5 lb. Pumpkin, peeled and seeded
1 Small onion, diced
8 oz. White wine
1 Tsp. garlic, minced
2 Quart vegetable stock or water
1 Quart water
1 each Sachet (bay, thyme, black pepper)
Salt & pepper, to taste

Saute onions & garlic in a small amount of butter. Add white wine, cook to burn off alcohol (approx. 5min), then add pumpkin flesh, spice sachets, stock, and water. Simmer for 15- 20 minutes then remove sachets, puree in a blender until smooth. Season with salt & pepper. Garnish with some sour cream just before serving. Goes great with some homemade bread too!!!

Soup.jpg

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

This is the Musque de Provence that my coworker gave us. For scale the counter is made of 12" tiles and the chef knife is an 8" blade.

We've cooked, pureed, bagged, and frozen about 2/3 of it resulting in 16 bags each just over 15 oz by weight. My thinking for the size of the bag was based on a can of pumpkin being 15 oz and our pumpkin muffin recipe uses one can. I backed 4 wedges and boiled the rest of it. Boiling is faster cook time but more knife work. Baking took well over an hour at 350 F and made a mess of my oven as the sugar and starch water runoff spilled over the cookie sheets and there was a lot of water runoff.

The pumpkin it self tastes great. Raw there is a sweet cantaloupe / melon flavor cooked it is much like butternut but sweeter.