• Join Home Gardening Forum

Suggest a deep freezer

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
I have about 300-400 lbs of beef coming to me in about 3-4 weeks and a pig later in October. Needless to say my refrigerator isn't going to cut it - I need a deep freezer.

Any brands you guys like over others? I'll be keeping the freezer in the garage (no room in the house) which usually ranges in temps of 20 - 95 Fahrenheit.

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Like Ranch says, Upright. Don't even let yourself look at a chest type freezer.
Thanks for the advice. I was actually looking at chest freezers thinking it'd hold more, but it sounds like that isn't the best idea.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Most people new to them go for chests because they're cheaper... They soon learn that you have to unload it constantly to find what they're looking for... And as you accumulate sale cuts over time, the stuff on the bottom is 'forgotten' & you'll end of tossing it as it's 3-4 yrs old. That is not the case with an upright. Trust me.

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Going shopping this weekend and hoping to find one of the above while I'm out. Just curious @w_r_ranch what about those two freezers do you like about them? So I can keep my eye out for those same features.

Thanks!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Size, insulation (efficiency) & definitely frost-free. A 'quick freeze' function & a 'temperature alarm' are also important features. Rollers on the bottom (if not so equipped, add them).

I should mention that both of ours are commercial models, one of which is a deep freeze (-8)...

Last edited:

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
@w_r_ranch, I nearly forgot I can get an employee discount through whirlpool, maytag, and Amana. The Amana you suggested isn't in stock at my local Home Depot and the website doesn't seem to give me the ability to place an order for it. That said through the Whirlpool program I found a Maytag MZF34X20DW, $630 delivered!

M

Mr_Yan

@w_r_ranch has a point with the upright vs chest freezer but I prefer chest freezers. I have two small chest freezers in the basement and they serve us well. I am sure as my kids grow we will add another freezer. As you open the door of an upright you dump all the cold out where a chest will hold the cold when opened. But there are times where I use a headlamp to find burgers.

We use plastic file bins (with large holes in them similar to milk crates) to hold food in the freezer and we can lift the whole bin out to access the lower reaches.

@Mike If you want to keep this in a garage check that the freezer is capable of running in a freezing environment. Remember the guys that posted earlier are in the deep south - granted you're in the south too. I've been told that running a standard freezer in a garage in the winter can damage the compressor. I work for a commercial kitchen equipment maker and some of our compressors for freezers actually need heaters in them. Things about refrigerant flood back to the compressor or lack of lubrication as the compressor oil is sludge.

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
We use plastic file bins (with large holes in them similar to milk crates) to hold food in the freezer and we can lift the whole bin out to access the lower reaches.
Funny we just had dinner with some family and they was saying the same thing. My father has both upright and chest freezers and he also prefers the chest. He has a Frigidaire gallery chest freezer that has blue plastic dividers as well as baskets to separate the food.

I'm leaning toward the Maytag mentioned above but my only concern now is if it's going to be big enough to hold all the meat we've got coming.

In regards to the garage, ours is insulated (along with the door) and has never reached freezing in there during the winter so if the cold is the only thing I need to worry about then I should be fine.

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Well tried to match all of features @w_r_ranch mentioned and got some of them:
  • Insulation for better energy efficiency
  • Temp Alarm
  • Size (22sq ft, much larger than I was planning)
I was a bit worried being able to store half a cow and a pig in an upright. In the end I ended up buying a Whirlpool WZC5422DW. $620 shipped and will be here Friday.

E

ErnieCopp

I vote with Yan on the Chest type freezers. I had two large ones in the basement on the farm, filled them both with gallon jugs of Apple Cider and Lamb in the fall and nearly empited as the year went by. Basement never froze but i would put a Milk House heater, comes on automatically if temp drops to 32 degrees, but do not think it ever came on, except when we were away for long perionds.

Here i have a small chest type in the Garage right by the Kitchen door, and a freezer drawer at the bottom on the big Whirlpool fridge.

I rotate my garden produce and meat an when i add much to it, Freezer has two sliding baskets at the top, and i can see where the bottom crates would be useful.

But maybe i just got used to chest type freezers during the forty years i had the chest type fridge and the freezer on the boat, as that is the only practical type for sailboats, due to heat loss and boat movements.

Pros and cons to both types.
Ernie