• Join Home Gardening Forum

sweet potato slips

M

Mr_Yan

So I want to start some sweet potato slips but have seen the viral story about the girl starting sweet potato slips where one tuber was treated with BudNip (Chlorpropham) and one was untreated.

Has anyone had luck starting slips from a grocery store in the last few years?

I have read one blog that claims soaking the tuber in an ascorbic acid bath will help neutralize the Chlorpropham. I happen to have a spice jar full of ascorbic acid powder (Ball Fresh Fruit intended to prevent cut fruit oxidizing). The MSDS for this points to either a strong acid or strong base neutralizing the residual Chlorpropham after the veg had been treated.

I am torn on testing it right now. On one hand I want to do something and growing a sweet potato would be fun for the kids. On the other hand it is a waste as I would be starting several weeks too early for my plant out date.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I have never started anything from items bought from a grocery store. I have always purchased the slips from one of the seed companies to avoid any issues.

M

Mr_Yan

Well I started one today. I didn't have toothpicks sitting around so, naturally, I used kitchen matches.

I also called my local feed store to ask if they typically carried slips in season. I was surprised when he said they did and usually sell a lot. We have to be on the northern edge of where you can realistically grow them.

W

Waite

Hello.

I started slips from Sweet Potatoes last year. I picked up a Garnet and a Jewel from Whole Foods. Unfortunately I started them in the wrong spot, and one of my vegetable-loving huskies made off with the Garnet.

So after relocating the Jewel out of reach, I was able to grow 8 slips. I use containers in my area for sweet potatoes since the growing season is so long. Planting them in black pots lets the sun warm them and fool them into thinking they aren't in Michigan. I had room for 6 slips in two 20 gallon containers. All were productive, but I learned a valuable lesson about soil in pots and root crops. Mine was too tight, and while I got several good ones most were the size of a large carrot. They were nonetheless incredibly tasty.

Don't think you're starting them too soon. I will start mine in the next week. You need a good 10-12 weeks. The other key, and this addresses your concern about produce treated with anti-sprout chemical, is to buy organic, since they (typically) aren't sprayed.

Last year I made sweet potato pie, had both mashed and candied for Thanksgiving, and mashed for Christmas. This year I'm going to cut a couple of 55 gallon drums in half, paint 'em black if necessary, and plant 16 slips.

In much looser soil!

W

Waite

I picked up 2 Garnet and 2 Jewel sweet 'taters from Whole Foods today. $7 for four sweet potatoes. No wonder we don't shop there.

I'll start them tonight, well out of the reach of my Huskies. This is a Jewel from last year:
[/IMG]

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Me & 'Dieter' love sweet potatoes, unfortunately Mrs. Ranch doesn't... I can't understand why & she refuses to even try them. I planted them once years ago... Sweet potato pie is a southern staple, much like pecan pie!!!

• Up Vote
Reactions: ksk
W

Waite

You might mention that sweet potatoes are good for your eyes.

Why is Sweet Potato Good For My Eyes?
Sweet potato is fast becoming a favourite amongst Gold Coast residents for its versatility in cooking and delicious flavour. They are a great vegetable and can be roasted, pureed, steamed, baked or grilled. The good news is your eyes are going to benefit from eating this starchy, sweet tasting root vegetable also. Sweet potatoes contain both Vitamin A and Beta-Carotene which may prevent night blindness and dry eyes. Furthermore, Vitamin C which may reduce the risk of cataracts and macular degeneration and Vitamin D which is also aiding in the prevention of macular degeneration.

We like them as fries, baked, mashed, candied, and as pies. Sometimes we cover baked with butter, salt, and pepper, and sometimes with butter, cinnamon and sugar.

One of my favorite rotisserie grill recipes is pork loin cooked over a pan of parsnips, turnips, carrots, rutabaga, and sweet potatoes. We cut them like fries and pour in some chicken or pork broth.

http://envisionoptical.com.au/recipes-for-eye-health-sweet-potato/