• Join Home Gardening Forum

Time to replace our computer

M

Mr_Yan

Well this old computer is getting unreliable and terribly frustrating. We plan on using some of our over paid taxes this year to buy a new computer option.

Looking at our needs we really only use the 'net and a Chromebook should be all we need generally. Thinking we can get a netbook and keep the desktop for the occasional use where we need Windows.

Anyone here have experience with a Chromebook and able to make a recommendation on hardware? Basic requirements I need for this is video out (HDMI), able to read removable memory (SD or microSD), at least one USB port, audio output via 1/8" stereo minijack.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I heard that 'Chrome' was going away & that Google was going to concentrate on Android...

I have, for the most part, always built my own computers to get exactly what I want. Other than that, I have nothing to suggest.

M

Mr_Yan

@w_r_ranch I heard the same thing but it does not look like it is happening the way people expected. From what I can tell Google is merging Android and Chrome OS under the project name Andromeda. Looks like the main thing will be android apps are more stable on what we call Chrome now. This is based on a few searches and articles on PCWorld and AndroidPolice.

Samsung is also continuing to throw a lot behind Chrome OS with some new hardware releases (Chromebook Plus and Chromebook Pro).

M

Mr_Yan

Well over the weekend we bought one of the new Dell Chromebook 13 machines. For some reason our Win 7 desktop keeps dropping network connection and I was tired of trying to fix it.

I've played with this thing for about 15 minutes and like what I see of it so far. I read several reviews on different Chromebooks and the Dells were rated highly and almost every review called them rugged or overbuilt. Well with three little kids I want something that will survive several spills, drops, and general abuse.

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
@Mr_Yan the Dell 13 chromebook is a nice one for sure. I have an Acer chromebook that I use while on the road and love it for it's purpose. Great devices for sure!