• Join Home Gardening Forum

Tree stump upgrade

B

bhinkle

With all this extra time at home due to Covid, my kids and I have been doing a bunch of work in the yard and garden. We've got a large stump in our backyard from a tree that was struck by lightning years ago. It was cut down but not totally removed. It's about four feet high. It's not a total eyesore but it doesn't look great. I don't want to remove it, I'd rather turn it into a project for me and the kids (5 and 7 years old) to make into something that looks good or maybe can be used for the backyard wildlife. Does anyone have any ideas?

D

dkerry5900

If you have wood carving skills you might want to try and carve a face. Although for the kids you might want to buy a tree face and let them help you install it. We have a few of them, my wife collects whimsical looking garden stuff so of course one of was not enough. The faces we got could just be screwed into the tree. Some of them can be used as bird feeders too. This might help:
https://www.gardenandpatiohomeguide.com/tree-faces-the-easiest-way-to-add-personality-to-your-yard/
Other than a tree face I guess you could install a feeder for birds or use the stump as a platform for a garden statue. I don't know if I'd add a birdhouse though, I'm assuming it's too low and predators would be able to get in and get to the birds and any babies or eggs.

M

Mr_Yan

How much weird work do you want to do? What tools do you have? What is your skill level? You're in The Garden State - what restrictions does the local administration put on you? Are you in HOA hell which would further restrict you...

1 - Get out shovels and a sawzall, dig a crater in the yard and remove the stump. It's a lot of muddy work and it will look like a moonscape for a few weeks but it will be done. And you'll have to get rid of a stump...

2 - Hollow out the center then fill it with soil as a planter. This will accelerate the rotting process too. Without knowing how to whittle with a chainsaw this will not be easy. Possibly drill a bunch of holes with the biggest spade drillbit you have then pound out with hammers. Put in a few drain holes too.

3 - Drill holes like you would for a planter then use it as a fire pit. It will last a few seasons of heavy use before you burn it out fully.

4 - Order mushroom plugs / spawn and try growing mushrooms in it.

B

bhinkle

Thanks for all the ideas guys! I appreciate the help. I'm thinking we're gonna go tree face for a job with a bit of instant gratification for the kids and also drill some holes in it to help it rot out in the meantime. And then in the future maybe firepit. :cool:

M

Mr_Yan

When you go to the garden center for the tree face get a bottle of stump remover - potassium nitrate - bag of charcoal, and sulfur (sold to adjust the pH of the soil). Now this application will be off label and of questionable legality in some states.

In batches finely grind some of each of the three. Gently mix them together. Pour this mix into the holes you just drilled in the stump. Have your kids stand back and light it.

This vid will walk you though the process a little better: