• Join Home Gardening Forum

upside down question.

S

Slowngreen

To grow my tomatoes and whatever else I decide upside down, do I just start them normal until they are a few inches long then transfer them into the upside down containers I will be using? I assume you cant start them already upside down or they would just work their way up through the soil on top?

whistech

Planting Zone
9a
Yeah, start them normal and then transfer them to the upside down containers. I hope you have better luck than I had when I tried it. I can tell you the topsy turby containers are the biggest waste of money I have ever spent.:(:(:(

M

Mr_Yan

I did upside down tomatoes once, maybe twice, a few years ago. I remember potting it was a little tricky.

I took a normal tomato seedling and put the foam collar around it just below the first real set of leaves then shoved this into the bottom of the hanging bag from the inside out. Then poured in the potting mix. Until the plant gets rather big it will try to grow up around the hanging bag.

I remember having a hard time keeping the plant watered well enough.

M

Mr_Yan

I thought using something like an IV bag would be perfect for watering the plant. Slow continuous drip directly into the hanging bag.