• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whistech's Little 2015 Spring Garden

whistech

Planting Zone
9a
I decided it was time to share a few pictures of my little raised bed garden. The pictures were taken Thursday April 09, 2014. I have a total of 5 raised beds. Four of the beds are 4 ft by 24 ft long and the 5th bed is now 3 ft by 36 feet long. I just added added 12 additional feet to the original 24 ft long bed. The first picture shows the four beds in my back yard. The first bed is onions, green beans(not up yet) and black eyed peas(not up yet). The second bed is tomatoes and peppers. The third bed is green beans, butternut squash, a few garlic, and top pick pink eye purple hull peas. The fourth fourth bed is 3 blackberries, yellow squash(not up), asparagus(looks pitiful), 3 eggplants, and more peppers. The second picture shows raised bed at the side of the house that contains herbs and strawberries. Oh yeah, I just planted hales best and ambrosa cantalopes in the soil pile you see in the first picture. I will update every couple of weeks as progress is made.

IMG_0500.JPG IMG_0496.JPG

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Whistech; You've got a really nice sized back yard. Plenty of room for expansion and lots of sun. You've got everything laid out in an orderly fashion. Should be able to get to all of it easily. I'm hoping to get out in my garden this weekend and play more catchup; but you know what they're saying about the weather. Good luck! Keep posting photos!

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
It's Saturday and I'm watching it rain. I went out in the backyard this morning between raindrops and was thrilled to see flowers all over everything I planted just last weekend. My little Tumbling Tom that I planted in the horse trough has 20 blossoms on it and it's not even that big. I'm thankful for the rain. I don't think I'm going to be able to get out and plant today because I don't have any of my compost mixture ready to go and it's just too wet to spread out the tarp. I think I'm going to plant my blackberry and raspberry bushes alongside my patio. Seems like the most logical place right now. Hopefully tomorrow and prayerfully, no winds stout enough to blow off all my blossoms.

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Whistech; What is that you've placed beneath your strawberries? Straw, hay, pine needles? I think if I put something beneath my strawberries and the soil, this might help them from being mushy from laying against the soil.

whistech

Planting Zone
9a
Rahab, I put pine needles under the strawberries to keep them from touching the ground. If I don't, the strawberries that touches the ground seems to rot on the bottom. I picked 1 pound 3 ounces of strawberries Saturday. I think next year I may try the double ground pink bark for the strawberries instead of the pine needles. My thought is the pine bark will decompose during the year and I can till it in. The pine needles do not seem to decompose much. I got the idea of using double ground pine bark from Mr. Ranch. I have learned a lot by reading his posts.

Last edited: