• Join Home Gardening Forum

Who plants tomatoes in the fall garden?

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
I see on Texas A&M's Planting Chart that I should plant tomato plants for the fall garden between July 15 - 30th. How many of you plant tomatoes for the fall garden? Do you have any luck? A friend told me all they've ever had luck with here are cherry tomatoes in the fall, and they aren't prolific like they are in the summer. I have several "volunteers" of Texas Wild cherry tomatoes that have sprung up in the garden, so I am letting them grow and nursing them, hoping they will provide some tomatoes in the fall. I eat these like grapes because they are so small.

My cousin, in Dallas, planted Better Boy tomatoes last fall and got a really nice crop.

If you plant tomatoes in the fall garden, which ones do you plant that you have success with?

whistech

Planting Zone
9a
For me, it is not worth it to to to grow tomatoes in the fall. They seem to have more bugs and disease and about the time they start producing, we get a frost. I save my garden room for broccoli, cauliflower , carrots and hopefully beets. This will be my third try with beets and i hope it will be successful this time.

Last edited:

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Yeah, I didn't have any luck with tomatoes last fall either. Guess I'll have to count on whatever I can this summer. I'm waiting to make some GTO sauce. Hopefully, I'll have another nice round of tomatoes after all the rain comes through this week. I captured a lot of rain off the roof today. Just sat my containers under the eaves and they filled immediately form the downpour. I'll be out early tomorrow morning hunting up more containers to catch rain. My brother said my metal trash cans should be okay.

I know I am going to put A LOT more onions in this fall and I'm going to try again for potatoes. It's hard to be thinking about a fall garden when you're still working the one for the summer; as well as still planting in every extra inch you harvest. I think this has been a really good year for gardening in Houston due to the extended spring and good rainfall. It doesn't take much of a dry spell to have me out doing my rain dance on behalf of my garden. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to get out in the garden tomorrow and plant some more purple hull peas. If the rain forbids it, that's okay; I'll take the rain.