• Join Home Gardening Forum

Why do my tomatoes look lik this?

Cody

Planting Zone
8a
After all the rain we've been getting my tomatoes look like this?

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B
You could try picking them right as they start to turn color. I know that a ripe vine tomato taste better but that might save the produce. I have been doing that and putting them in a brown paper bag so they can still breath and ripen up.

Cody

Planting Zone
8a
I have been picking them as soon as I see color and then setting them by the kitchen window. That method has worked pretty good. After all the rain I walked in the garden and BOOM!, There are about 10 maters that look like that virtually overnight. lol. I'm going to try to make some hot sauce out of them? We'll see.
I always water just at the base of the plant until I see water coming out from the retaining wall, so I guess 6" of rain flooded them. Thanks for the advice. That's why I joined. :)

T

the1honeycomb

I let mine finish and then peel them and they are still Yummo! processed 20 jars of sauce today, 5 pints of seedless blackberry jam, 8 half pints of salsa. Made homemade chicken soup and fresh from the garden watermelon for dessert!!!

M

Mr_Yan

With that deep of splitting I agree with w_r.

Smaller cracking will occur when cold rain hits hot fruit causing the skin to contract before the fruit interior can - it's all a matter of the coefficient of thermal expansion. This is a BIG problem on cherry farms which I learned when working on one for two seasons during high school.

T

the1honeycomb

Wow great info! nice to know why Science causes things to happen

T

the1honeycomb

Tennessee isn't that far away! I'll be in Pigeon Forge next week!!