• Join Home Gardening Forum

WR's 2019 Spring Garden

K

ksk

Looking good Ranch.I have received at least a 1/2 dozen seed catalogs in the last week.I usually order from Burpee's or Gurneys.Who do you order from?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
This year I had to order from 4 places to get what I wanted: Burpee, Totally Tomatoes, Reimer & RH Shumway.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I aim for Feb. 1st (give or take a couple of days) so they're ready to be transplanted mid-March.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Filled 8 flats of starter pots w/my growing mix, then planted the eggplant, both varieties of peppers, basil & both varieties of tomatoes. Watered them & everything else in the greenhouse, then turned up the heat. I'll continue filling flats & planting tomorrow... Dieter's calling my name, LOL!!!

Last edited:

SQWIB

Planting Zone
7A
Your eggplants are missing from the lineup but are in the sketch. I was curious as to what you were planting

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I did miss putting them in the lineup LOL!!! Good eyes!!! They are a hybrid called 'Millionaire' & they are my 'go to' variety, especially for Eggplant Parmesan.

• Up Vote
Reactions: ksk

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Finally got the leeks & onions planted on Mar 2nd. This is the second time I've replanted onions due to the first set rotting due to the near constant overly wet soil.

Today I cut the seed potatoes & dusted them with sulfur, then set them aside to scab over. They'll get planted tomorrow. Although they are going in 2 weeks later that normal, they shouldn't be too far behind as they are well chitted out.

Last edited:

MR. G. L.

Planting Zone
rain forecast for tomorrow ... praying for it to stop (for a while ) don't seem to help. cussing don't either... to hard headed to quit SO I am going to go have some home made cheese cake out of wife's xmas gift ( Insta Pot ) an go think about the situation

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Last Friday I revised the garden plan & planted 6 eggplant in the abbreviated onion row (I have plenty of green bell peppers to fill that entire row). Also planted 18 jalapenos plants. Marigolds were planted between each of the plants to draw in pollinators & to prevent any nematodes.

Yesterday I planted green beans , green bell peppers & more marigolds.

Today I planted the Lima beans & cucumbers. Then started setting the tomato stakes before calling it quits & watering the garden & asparagus bed.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I've been planting each day for most of the week... today I finished by planted the final tomatoes & basil, then I continued mulching. I hope to plant the soybeans tomorrow & then the main garden will be done (the melons will go in April 15th).

K

ksk

I've been planting each day for most of the week... today I finished by planted the final tomatoes & basil, then I continued mulching. I hope to plant the soybeans tomorrow & then the main garden will be done (the melons will go in April 15th).
Sam I have had no measurable rain in March.I have been mowing where I have not been able to since September.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Got 3 of the 4 rows of soybeans planted before being interrupted by the rain. I was hoping to finish after it passed but the cold front blew in a day early (went from the 75 to 57 in minutes)... Needless to say. I done for the day.

Garden_033019.jpg

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Finally receive the 2 loads of mulch late yesterday, this is the longest I've ever had to wait... It's amazing how many weed seeds can germinate in 12 days so I'll have to contend with them as I go.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Planted the cantaloupes yesterday & the watermelons this morning, mulching as I went. I still have a lot of mulching to do.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It's getting to be that time of year when harvesting become a daily thing & much of the day is spent canning, dehydrating & prepping garden related meals for vacuum packing/freezing.

I have been roasting tomatoes for the Picante sauce.

Yesterday I harvested another tub of tomatoes, 6 big cucumbers & green peppers. This is a realy good year for green peppers, LOL!!!

Tomato_Harvest_060319.jpg

Cucumber_Harvest_060319.jpg

Green_Pepper_Harvest_060319.jpg

Big_Green_Pepper_060319.jpg

Today I roasted more tomatoes as Mrs. Ranch wants to make stuffed green peppers & she needs tomato sauce.

I also continued making the Picante sauce by dicing up the onions, green peppers & jalapenos before adding the spices. I'll can it up tomorrow.

Picante_Tomato_Sauce_060519.jpg