• Join Home Gardening Forum

WR's Cold Pickled Jalapenos

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
This recipe is my personal favorite & will pickle about two pounds of sliced jalapenos. It will make 4 pints or 2 quart jars.

Place the whole jalapenos in bowl of cold salted water to wash the peppers & kill germs that are on them (the water should taste like seawater or more salty). After about 15 minutes, rinse the salt water off the jalapenos.

Leave whole or slice to desired thickness. If pickling whole, punch a small X with the point of a knife in the tip of the jalapeno to allow air out & the pickling liquid in.

Now place the following ingredients into a stainless steel pot (or other non-reactive pot), bring to a boil.
  • 3 cups 5 percent white vinegar
  • 1 cup bottled water
  • 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon of pickling salt, DO NOT substitute table salt or Kosher salt

Allow the solution to simmer (covered) while you sterilize the jars, lids & rings..

Remove a jar from the simmering (but not boiling) water with tongs & begin to fill with the jalapenos. Add a couple of pieces of small peeled carrots, a slice of onion, a teaspoon of peppercorns & one large clove of sliced garlic interspersed with the peppers. Pack them in tight. Now pour the solution over the peppers to within 1/4" of the top of the jar. Place a sterilized lid/ring over the top & screw down tight. Invert the jar for a few minutes, then turn right side up. Process one jar at a time. Leave the remaining jars,lids & rings in the simmering water. Continue to simmer the liquid ingredients. Repeat the process one jar at a time.

Allow to cool. Check that each lid has sealed by pressing down on the lid. It should not give or pop. Store in the refrigerator. They are ready in 10 days but the flavor is better after one month. Enjoy!!!

45 ACP

Planting Zone
8B
Ranch, if I added the water bath process to this recipe, would I actually be "canning" them, and thus able to store in my pantry for up to a year?

45 ACP

Planting Zone
8B
Ok. I like em crunchy too! How long will they keep in the fridge?

The last 2 jars I "canned" didn't turn out good. I did something wrong somewhere. Actually I got in a hurry and did numerous things wrong. They were really mushy and the oil formed an almost black ring floating at the top. I ate some Sunday, but ended up chunking 'em.

I have a big pile of fresh picked japs and gonna do some more tonight or tomorrow night.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I've eaten them 5-6 months later & the were still good, although the weren't near as crisp.

I'm getting ready to do some myself, we have so many this year. Karen's been making stuffed japs about every 3rd day to go with our supper & I've been eating at least 3 for lunch (raw - stuffed w/ cream cheese) just about every day. I wouldn't mind having a breakfast omelet either, I just haven't had the time...