• Join Home Gardening Forum

Anyone into beekeeping?

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
The idea of being a beekeeper has intrigued me for the last few years. I love honey and in fact typically buy a large locally harvested honey each month from our local farmers market. Not only for the better quality, great taste, but also local honey does great to help prevent or lessen allergies.

At any rate, I have no idea where to even start let alone maintaining a beehive. Is anyone currently a beekeeper or know information about getting into beekeeping?

E

ErnieCopp

Bees are wonderful and very interesting. I had to give my hive up, as i was becoming increasingly allergic to the stings, but i sure enjoyed them. It will help if you can watch a beekeeper go through the process a time or two, and learn how to identify the queen, as well as what to do when they swarm. But before making an investment of time and money, find out if you are allergic to the bee venom.

Ernie

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B
Bees are wonderful and very interesting. I had to give my hive up, as i was becoming increasingly allergic to the stings, but i sure enjoyed them. It will help if you can watch a beekeeper go through the process a time or two, and learn how to identify the queen, as well as what to do when they swarm. But before making an investment of time and money, find out if you are allergic to the bee venom.

Ernie

And don't forget, BEE careful:D

M

Mr_Yan

I really want to and have been reading about top bar hives. Last year our community garden had three hives but they've been packed up and moved and I was hoping to learn from them. My biggest hurdle is we're waiting until we know the crumb-crunchers aren't allergic (allergies really run in my family but I don't really have any). So far neither kid has been stung, even once, and they're only turning 3 and 1.

reddog5

Planting Zone
I'd like to buy one of the Flowhive hives from Australia, very cool and a smart couple guys........anyone have experience with these yet?