• Join Home Gardening Forum

canned salsa

M

Mr_Yan

I have too many tomatoes to eat fresh but not enough to really warrant canning tomatoes. One suggestion was canning salsa. Anyone have a favorite salsa recipe that is tried and true in canning? I do have a pressure canner that I have, as yet, only used as my beer brewing boil kettle.

I have read the one in my old edition of the Blue Book and the ones in the current USDA canning guide and it look lacking and bland as I would read a recipe. My usual fresh salsa is mild in spice/heat but heavy in cilantro, onion, lime, and garlic.

M

Mr_Yan

So I did nine pints of the USDA's Red Tomato Salsa - linked here. Just opened one and it's ok but mild and rather thin. It was worth doing but won't do this recipe again. I did not use the optional cilantro. We love cilantro in salsa but my wife grabbed parsley at the store not the cilantro. Mostly I used romas but subed in some brandywine and cherokee purple when I needed to make up weight - I'll blame this for the thin nature.

In grabbing the recipe to link from here I noticed the salt in the recipe. I forgot to add the salt. What consequences will this have? I'd assume that it is only for flavor because there isn't enough to preserve it via brining.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Yes, the salt is only used as a seasoning. If you use my recipe, the vinegar & lime juice will stop any 'nasties' from ruining your salsa. In addition, the roasting will remove much of the moisture & prevent the 'thinnest' that you experienced.

M

MB3

cooking or roasting some of the juicier tomatoes can def add more flavors and make it less wet. you could also just strain them and save the juice and seed mass for other things, incl seed saving.