• Join Home Gardening Forum

DIY inspirations

J

JGarden1

Hello there! Since few years I am a big fan of diy things and if only I have time I do it. I want to make some decorations for my garden. It can be pot, plant holders etc but I am looking for inspirations. Have you ever done such diy and can you share your work with me? Or give me some inspirations?

M

Mr_Yan

What level of DIY are we talking? Glue and cutting with hand tools? Concrete work? Welding? Electrical? Plumbing and waterworks?

Hand print / foot print stepping stones from concrete? I have a few of these from father's day gifts.

Glue tile bits to planters.
Build planters from wood, stone, tiles, and or concrete. (I've done this several times)

Train trees or shrubs in weird shapes.

Wind chimes and or mobiles from conduit and other found materials. One made from old circ-saw blades painted bright colors could be fun.

Pallets are popular things to build stuff with and I've seen plant walls made from these. But they seem like they'd be high maintenance with watering.

Small pond with a fountain. My co-worker has long wanted to make "flushing meadows" where a small (man made and engineered) stream re-flows into a small pond and the stream originates from an overflowing toilet.

J

JGarden1

Definitely not welding, electrical and plumbing. I am good at handwors so probably I will go in this direction.

M

Monotropa

Ponds are definitely a nice long term DIY project if you thoroughly enjoy working in your garden. That being said if you are a set it and forget it type then ponds aren not a good idea.
earlier this spring.JPG

full summer.JPG

Here is an old pic with one of my turtles. He woke up early and was trying to find the sun.
Turtler looking for the sun.JPG

This pond has been an ongoing DYI project for about 12 years.

An idea for some random decorations (that I have but you can't see really in these pics) are some old bowling balls (brightly colored ones) along with various strategically placed rocks and of course plants.

Typically I tend to lean more towards a more natural look but do I love bright colors so I typically do my decorating with flowers.
IMG_5928.JPG
IMG_5863.JPG
IMG_5860.JPG
IMG_5735.JPG
IMG_5736.JPG
IMG_5731.JPG
IMG_5730.JPG

N

NancyHudson

I have recently remodeled my house and made a new lawn in the remaining space which I had in my house vicinity. I have made a small bridge above the round pond for my children to see the fishes and to feed them from above. The team made sure that making the bridge would protect the pond and the fishes from extreme climate and from the side they would get all the heat and rain required. This is my first pond and I did what I was told by the professionals. So, I want some of the maintenance tips from you all.