• Join Home Gardening Forum

Dr. Pepper Ribs

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Taking a trip down memory lane this morning, reliving some good eat'in... Guess I just suffering from BBQ withdrawal...

Select 4 pounds pork ribs (preferably spare ribs). Clean the ribs well and remove membrane from bone side of ribs as this will make for easier eating. Transfer the ribs to a large non-reactive glass or ceramic dish pour 2 cups of Dr Pepper over them. Let the ribs marinate, tightly covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated, overnight. About 6 1/2 hours before you plan to serve the ribs, start a fire in your pit and begin heating a quantity of coals. I personally prefer post oak. Now turn your attention to the sauce:

1 cup Dr Pepper
3 cups ketchup
6 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons dry mustard
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
4 tablespoons ground black pepper
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

Pour the remaining 1 cup of soda into a large bowl and add the other ingredients, mixing until smooth and well blended. No need to cook this one, as least for now. Cook ribs in an indirect heat for about 5 hours bone side down. Spray every half hour with apple juice. Then begin mopping the ribs with the Dr. Pepper sauce every 20 minutes. Make it heavy mopping. At six hours you should have reached the internal temperature of 160 to 170F recommended for pork. After one last basting of the ribs, tote the remaining sauce inside and simmer in a medium-size saucepan over low heat until quite thick. Serve the gloriously gooey sauce in dipping bowls with the finished ribs. Enjoy!!

Ribs_1.jpg Ribs_2.jpg

WARNING: Don't get any of the sauce on your forehead because your dogs will beat you to death trying to get at it. Don’t ask me how I know…

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Thanks. We were dreaming about BBQ'd ribs but were having grilled chicken breasts for supper...