• Join Home Gardening Forum

First time potatoes

M

Mr_Yan

Busy last week or two but I'm back.

I've started digging my potato row at the community garden and have finished the first 33 feet or so that I planted with kinnebec. If I remember correctly I planted a 3 pound bag of seed potatoes in there which I bought from a big box store. These were spaced at 12" increments and yes I planted them with a tape measure laid out along the row.

This was also my first year really doing potatoes. My strategy was a combination of doing what the books told me to and trying to make my rows look like those of the people who knew what they are doing at the gardens. There are some great looking potato rows up that and some that may only have three plants actually growing in the 50' row.

I harvested just over 22 pounds of potatoes and most were tennis ball size with some up to about twice that size. I did the first 10 to 12 feet at the end of a dry spell and the ground was ROCK hard. Man did I earn those potatoes but we were going to have potatoes for dinner dang it. The second half was after about 1.5 inches of rain and much easier.

I think I will space the potatoes a little closer next year, maybe 8 to 10 inches unless someone can tell me a good reason not to. The plants looked like there was still ample space between them and the tubers were not intermingled plant to plant.

I still have about 10 feet each of pontiac red and german butterballs to harvest this season.

whistech

Planting Zone
9a
Last year I planted my Russian Fingerling potatoes about one foot apart. I have raised bed so I think I planted about 4 rows six feet long. Next spring, if I can find the russian fingerling seed potatoes, I am going to plant rows 8 inches apart and space the seedlings about 6 inches apart in the rows. We will see what happens.

M

Mr_Yan

Good to hear someone else will try closer spacing.

I tried Russian banana fingerlings in a container about 24" in diameter and 18 inches deep with an open bottom last year but the heat killed production. I have heard that fingerling potatoes can become almost invasive because you'll never get all the spuds out of the ground and some people consider them an apocalypses garden option because of it.

whistech

Planting Zone
9a
I didn't have that experience with my Russian banana Fingerling potatoes. Mine produced fine and what i like best about them is I canned them and they stayed firm after canning, unlike any other potato I have canned.