• Join Home Gardening Forum

Gobble Gobble it's almost Turkey Time

Lost in mn

Planting Zone
Anyone do the Turkey hunting deal? Our first season starts here in about 8 weeks. We have a spring Tom only hunt and a fall either sex hunt.

This year I am getting my 76 year old father involved. I picked up a couple ground blind tents and we are going to try and bag a couple. I usually get 3 tags for spring 1 shotgun, 1 bow and 1 landowner.

It's amazing how in the last 25 years the Turkey population has just soared in this area. The State DNR has done an excellent job re-introducing the birds to Minnesota. I have roughly 80 birds on my property at any given time and I feed them throughout the winter to keep the kill off low.

If you have never tried it it's fairly inexpensive to get started and a ton of fun. Not to mention they are super tasty!!!!

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
I've thought about going to my father-in-laws and hunting there. He's down south a bit close to the TN / KY line and has a small plot of land down there with a good number of turkeys. Deep fried turkey does sound pretty good right now.

E

ErnieCopp

You can grow to hate those birds. Idaho F and G, was using Boundary County as an area to produce a surplus to stock other areas with the Turkeys, and of course, they over did it. They would not allow any hunting there, and the birds became very destructive. They would eat or contamnate the Dairy Cattle feed, break limbs off of young Nursery trees, over fertlize every where they gathered, and since they could not be harmed, they developed a complete lack of fear and could not be driven away.

I understand some hunting is allowed there now, but i think they are one fo the most expensive pests that has ever been. So eat all you can to save Mankind.

Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
There out in force here... While I don't hunt them any more, I like watching them!!! Had 10 hens & 3 toms here this morning, just on the other side of the tank next to the house. Here's a shot of one strutting his stuff...

TOM1.jpg

E

ErnieCopp

Sam,
Yep, they are beautiful to look at, IF you do not have some prime young trees ready for market that they can try to roost in and break some branches, destroying the trees. They can become the worst pests you can imagine.

Ernie