• Join Home Gardening Forum

Got the fall garden in yet?

txjustin

I planted majority of my fall garden last Sunday. It consists of mustard greens, broccoli, cauliflower, iceberg lettuce, brussels, carrots, and will add in mixed lettuces next month when it cools a bit.

E

ErnieCopp

I will be weedwhicking my Asparagus bed soon, and that will give me second crop of asparagus, and i will plant a lot of big red and white sweet onions from Dixon in late October, but not much else this year. A few containers of carrots and Kohlrabi is about all. Still drying Figs, picking sweet peppers, and have a hundred or so big Butternut squash to harvest.

I saw some Ninebark trees or shrubs when i was in Idaho. Beautiful plants, so i bought a couple. Will make a tree from one, and a shrub from the other one.

Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I am going to have a very abbreviated fall garden here too, due to the fact that I am still working on the expansion. Only planning on 6 cabbage, 6 broccoli, 6 cauliflower & maybe 18 or 24 kohlrabi... about a quarter of what I would normally plant. I'll see about onions & garlic, although we may have to do without to get this project done for spring. Needless to say, pick'ins will be slim this winter.

Once the dirt is in, I can start on the asparagus bed. I hope it is ready by late January.

E

ErnieCopp

Sam,
Here is another tip for your Asparagus bed. My first one up North only had the one crop a year, as the growth stopped in September, but down here, which seems to be similar to your climate, the ferns got ugly last year so just as a matter of appearance, we whacked them off in September, and was surprised to see a wonderful second fall crop come up. So, if your ferns are still green, next year, or maybe with a new bed, the second year, you might want to try that.

Probably every one but me knew it, but i had never read about, so it was a nice surprise.

Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I'll remember that Ernie. We love asparagus and hope it does well for us here because I just can't bring myself to pay $5.99 for a small bunch. That's just crazy in my book., LOL.

E

ErnieCopp

Sam,
Same here. It is one of my favorite things to grow. and maybe one of the easiest. I am becoming more selective on what i plant. We do not use much, and some things we wind up not even liking enough to bother picking, let alone planting. So that is all part of the learning process i guess.

Ernie

M

Mr_Yan

My attempt at a fall garden was sown about a month ago and thinned last week. We have only hit the low 40s F so far this season. I think I will sow some more spinach though but it's almost too late for anything else.

I have been playing with the idea of bending some hoops over my raised bed. 4'x7' with the long axis running north to south. I only hesitate because of two points I've not worked out yet. How do I close off the ends - easiest I think would be just gather up the plastic and clamp it with hand-springs. Also I have a large kale plant right along the edge - probably just pull the plastic over it.

txjustin

I just added some seedlings because my broc, cauliflower and brussels didn't come up. I added 8 broc, 2 cauliflower, 3 cabbage, 2 bok choy, 2 celery, 5 kale, and 4 brussel seedlings. I will do my mixed greens bed in the next week or so.