• Join Home Gardening Forum

Have You Heard Of Chocolate Mint Herb?

I

IcyBC

This year I met a lady and she introduced me to her chocolate mint herb that she has planting. She ripped a leaf and let me smelling the scent of it! I was overjoy and asked for some cuttings.

It has a very strong taste of chocolate and mint, plus, smells just like those chocolate mint candy. This was the first time I heard of chocolate mint! Have you?
IMG_1745.JPG

T

Treeca86

Hi! Yes! I love it! You can buy it, plant it and use for many years to come! It is a cross between a watermint and a spearmint. It is lovely. I use it to make fresh herbal tea, and it is delicious. I am Mormon, so I don't drink caffeine. And herbal teas are fine to drink. Chocolate mint is my absolute favourite tea to drink, out of all the other herbs I use to make tea for my health and relaxation.
I even steep it in hot water, and add it to homemade fudge, brownies, frostings. It is just amazing to use for all purposes.

A

anders8

I got to try this mint this spring! I don't generally like chocolate and mint together so I was seriously surprised with how much I liked this.

I was considering growing some, this coming year but since the only place I currently have open is pretty unregulated, I'm a little afraid it will get out of hand.

N

noodle

I've seen this plant in a local nursery before but never tried growing it myself! I think it's a fun idea, and pretty amazing too. I'm not able to keep up with too many plants at once so it wouldn't be one that I would prioritise growing. Your plant looks very healthy though!

I

IcyBC

@Treeca86 I have also made some tea with these chocolate mint herb, and I love it too! I love herbal tea so this was amazing. Since summer is quickly coming to an end, I might have to freeze some to use in winter months.

@anders8 and @noodle The lady told me that chocolate mint will spread very fast if it was not kept under control; so I planted them in a pot. They are doing fine, and getting bushy! I believe you two can plant them in a pot as it doesn't really need much care, just water them every few days.

N

noodle

That's good to hear! Regular mint grows really well around here so I guess it might be the same. It would be nice to have some in the garden, just for something a bit different! It's nearly spring here so I'm on the hunt for new plants.

S

Susan

Oh Mint Chocolate is something I absolutely adore. It is so good. I have never even heard of this or tried it but I already know that I would love it. I am going to have to check this stuff out! Thanks for posting this. I am already learning so many new things since I joined this forum. This is such a great place!

I

IcyBC

Oh Mint Chocolate is something I absolutely adore. It is so good. I have never even heard of this or tried it but I already know that I would love it. I am going to have to check this stuff out! Thanks for posting this. I am already learning so many new things since I joined this forum. This is such a great place!

You will love it! I was able to cut some strong branches of my chocolate mint plants, and keep them in water for a few weeks to grow roots. Last week, I divided them up, wrap them in wet paper towel, and then saran wrap, and put them in bubbled-envelops to send some to my daughter and three sisters in various States. They all adored the scent and the taste of these chocolate mints.

T

tinception

This is my first time to hear about this kind of herb! It combines two of my most favorite things - mint and chocolate! Thank you for sharing this. Rest assured, I will try to find some planting materials for chocolate mint.

I

IcyBC

I don't see the chocolate mint around my neck of the woods, and I was glad the nice lady gave me some cuttings. You might have to look online if you can't find them in the stores or garden center @tinception ! Good luck!