• Join Home Gardening Forum

Hog Hunters

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B
Who here likes to hog hunt? I hunt them year around and even in deer season. We also have a few traps at the lease that we run.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Dang Tim, that last one is a brute!!!! I'm guess'in about 300 lbs... What county is your lease located???

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B
He was pushing that, never weighed him. The lease is in Liberty County.

whistech

Planting Zone
9a
I have heard the smaller ones are very tasty without any gamy taste. Do you guys make sausage from the bigger ones?

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B
I have heard the smaller ones are very tasty without any gamy taste. Do you guys make sausage from the bigger ones?

whistech, I have cooked 10 lbs'ers to 300 lbs'ers. It all depends on how they are bled and processed. The smaller ones take less time to bleed than the bigger ones. But both are good if you process them correctly. I bleed the 150 - 300 lbs ones for at least a week and a half before I process them (sometimes longer). The smaller ones get bled for at least a week before I touch their meat for processing.

M

Mr_Yan

This is cool but so foreign to me. I'm used to by brother talking about things like white tail with the occasional elk or moose and his caribou trip.

Didn't expect to see a 223 for these guys. I just assumed you'd use something stronger like 30-06 or 7 mag.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I use whatever is in my hands (I keep a .223 in most of my vehicles). My last picture in post #2 was harvested with a .300 Mag, as I was deer hunting. Almost all are head shots, it just the way I like to roll. BTW, a .223 will penetrate 1/4" plate steel & still kill what is behind it...

WRR_Number_22B.jpg

Heck, I've shot them in the head with my .45 at 60-65 yds. I hate pigs & the work they have caused me over the years.

I_Hate_Pigs.jpg

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B
This is cool but so foreign to me. I'm used to by brother talking about things like white tail with the occasional elk or moose and his caribou trip.

Didn't expect to see a 223 for these guys. I just assumed you'd use something stronger like 30-06 or 7 mag.

Notice the rifle I am holding in the 2nd to last picture...that is a .22 long rifle. I agree with WR, head shots are the only way to go!

Cody

Planting Zone
8a
My favorite thing to hunt!!!! I haven't killed a hog with a gun in probably 15yrs. The big read one on the wall is my favorite one. Killed that sucker with my 50lb. recurve. These other photos are from SanSaba. We try to go every year. Fun fun fun. My son is hunting from a school bus. lol. Cadillac hunting. We all like to stalk them when it's possible.

Attachments

• 162920_1654707981100_516457_n.jpg
    162920_1654707981100_516457_n.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 10
  • 167802_1654707421086_5415994_n.jpg
    167802_1654707421086_5415994_n.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 163816_1669334946765_573481_n.jpg
    163816_1669334946765_573481_n.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 169094_1669336266798_3645719_n.jpg
    169094_1669336266798_3645719_n.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 10

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B
My favorite thing to hunt!!!! I haven't killed a hog with a gun in probably 15yrs. The big read one on the wall is my favorite one. Killed that sucker with my 50lb. recurve. These other photos are from SanSaba. We try to go every year. Fun fun fun. My son is hunting from a school bus. lol. Cadillac hunting. We all like to stalk them when it's possible.

Sweet!!! Hey Cody, how much did it cost to mount them? I usually do my own Euro mounts but have never took one in to do the tradition mount.

Cody

Planting Zone
8a
This one was $450. Worth every penny to me. I told him to keep it natural and ugly! He did an awesome job. Some land owners gave me permission to hunt there land because the hogs had been tearing it up. My buddies killed a lot with AR's and deer rifles, but I was hell bent on getting this one with my stick and string. I had him on my game camera but couldn't ever catch him during the day. Finally came out one day at 5pm. Watched him for 30 minutes before I could get a shot. He was the only one that showed that day.

Rockytop

Planting Zone
8B
Nice... here piggy piggy piggy.. it's nighty night time... and I'm hungry.. get in my belly!! Stick the shoulders in a crock pot and treat it like a beef roast... yummy...

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
My goodness those things are huge. I've read a few articles that wild hogs in the south are very much on the rise and causing trouble for farmers.

Are .223's the typical gun used to hunt these things?

Cody

Planting Zone
8a
All calibers are used. Most people that use small calibers shoot them in the head. I have dropped one in his tracks with a 22-250 one time with a heart shot.

45 ACP

Planting Zone
8B
Nice pics guys!

We are covered up with hogs right now at my place in Jackson county. Showed up a few weeks ago and there had been hogs ON MY PORCH at the ranch house. We've killed 8 in the last month. They tear up everything and sure make shredding on the tractor difficult.

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B
Nice pics guys!

We are covered up with hogs right now at my place in Jackson county. Showed up a few weeks ago and there had been hogs ON MY PORCH at the ranch house. We've killed 8 in the last month. They tear up everything and sure make shredding on the tractor difficult.

Darn right about that.

45 ACP

Planting Zone
8B
I got another one last Sat night. That makes 9 in the past 5 weeks or so. Biggest was 250 and the one last sat was 205. None were trapped, all spot and stalk with a bow or AR10.

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
I use whatever is in my hands (I keep a .223 in most of my vehicles). My last picture was harvested with a .300 Mag, as I was deer hunting. Almost all are head shots, it just the way I like to roll. BTW, a .223 will penetrate 1/4" plate steel & still kill what is behind it...

View attachment 219

Heck, I've shot them in the head with my .45 at 60-65 yds. I hate pigs & the work they have caused me over the years.

View attachment 222

Outstanding shot!