• Join Home Gardening Forum

How do you cook the Perfect Steak?

Lost in mn

Planting Zone
I am always intrigued by the different methods, seasonings and marinades people use before cooking a steak.
Here is my method for the Best Grilled Steak without drowning it in Other flavors.

Use real oak logs or oak chunks in your grill or open pit cooker. Allow to burn down to super hot coals.
Meat: slowly bring to at least 100 degrees temp in an oven, Remove meat from heat and rub with some olive oil or vegetable oil. Liberally salt both sides with some high quality salt (Sea or Kosher)
With grill screaming hot Place meat on grill. Cook for a few minutes per side (depending on meat thickness) use your nose to smell when the meat starts to caramelize.
Do not cover the grill while cooking. The whole point is to sear each side of the steak as quickly as possible with the highest heat possible.
Once the steak is seared on both sides close vents on grill and cover for a few minutes depending on how cooked you like your steak.
Remove from heat and allow to sit for at least 7-10 minutes.

This of course isn't for everyone but if you love the flavor of a High end Restaurant Cooked steak you will like this method. Bringing the meat to 100 temps is important to have a very tender steak. Never cook cold or frozen meat on a grill it will be like shoe leather!!!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Our favorite way is to make some coals & use our fire pit. It is simply the best way to grill a steak & at 850 degrees, I can put a sear that meat in no time flat.

Our favorite cut is a 2" sirloin although a thick-cut ribeye is also high on our list. I marinate them in a seasoned olive oil for about 3 hrs prior to grilling them & then about 30 minutes to showtime, I set them on the counter to allow them to come up to room temperature. During this time I get a drink & then get the coals arranged in the pit.

When its time, I put the meat on for 4 minutes per side. When they come off, I wrap them in H.D. foil to rest for 10-12 minutes to reabsorb their juices. This is a perfect time to get another drink.

Guaranteed medium rare every time...

Perfect_Steak.jpg

Lost in mn

Planting Zone
Yep that looks like the perfect cut right there!!!! Awesome!!!! I really got into using actual wood for cooking several years ago. It tastes so much better than charcoal. Especially on beef. And it's a must for Elk or Buffalo.
Yep that picture is making me drool ha ha ha !

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Yep... As I've always said, " Knock the horns off, wipe it's butt, show it the fire & bring it to me".

Always raises a waitress' eyebrows when I say that in a restaurant. LOL!!!