• Join Home Gardening Forum

How to provide humidity to lemon?

J

JGarden1

Hello everyone. Last year I have grown lemon from seed and now it is about 30 cm high. In last few days I noticed that there is something wrong with it. Its leaves at the bottom and at the top are turning brown. I found that it can be caused by humidity. What do you think? How to deal with it? If I spray it with water everyday will it work?

M

Mr_Yan

I grew lemon and lime from seed several times. I kept them in pots outside on my patio over the summer and then in a southern facing window for the winter (we were well below freezing each winter). I never had to tent them for humidity. One lime tree I had made it to 2 meters tall (including pot) before I gave it to a friend as I couldn't move it back into my house. I currently have a Meyer Lemon on me deck here.

I would suspect something other than lack of humidity for the leaf browning.

What part of the leaf is turning brown? Tips? Whole thing? Blotches here and there?

Just the tips being brown could point to weird / poor watering of the plant. If it's in a pot you want to water the whole thing thoroughly and let it dry out most of the way. Also the pot needs to have drainage otherwise part will be swampy and part could be dry.

D

DennisPortillo

The leaves are getting excessive sunray maybe they are getting brown. Spraying water on the sand may be going to work for the leaves.

A

amanda111

Hello everyone. Last year I have grown lemon from seed and now it is about 30 cm high. In last few days I noticed that there is something wrong with it. Its leaves at the bottom and at the top are turning brown. I found that it can be caused by humidity. What do you think? How to deal with it? If I spray it with water everyday will it work?
Hello

I grew lime from seed. My tree began to blossom and fruit in 5 years. And it was great garden experience, But you shouldn't forget that lime need consistent moisture to grow well. At the begining i watered the soil deeply once or twice a week, but my lime tree dry out leaves wilt and drop!!!! So, you need to water it when the soil is dry to about 6 inches. And i resolve the problem with automated spikes or globes and fertilizer. Lime trees, like all citrus, are heavy feeders and therefore need supplemental fertilizer. I used chemical fertilizers. They contain nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium in varying percentages. As for me an 8-8-8 food is good for young limes that are not yet bearing but a mature fruit bearer will need more nitrogen so switch to a 12-0-12 formula!!!!

Also you could try smart device -Plant Monitor or

Smart Soil Moisture Meter. Perfect device for all my plants! It works well in pots and flower, can automatically monitor the light, moisture, humidity, etc. With that device you will never dry your lime.
But as for me automatic watering spikes or globes (you could read herer about it https://allneedoff.com/plant-watering-system/ ) ,more effective and cheaper.366936703671.